Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • New Year's Weekend Virtual Quilting >
  • New Year's Weekend Virtual Quilting

• New Year's Weekend Virtual Quilting

Old 12-30-2017, 08:29 PM

Macybaby...you are an incredibly creative quilter. Your rose quilt is stunning...the quilting beautiful.. You had a very successful day...good for you.
    Old 12-30-2017, 08:39 PM

I have 3 BOM blocks to get done in the next 10 days. What I really need to do is clean, sort & get rid of some fabric. It is past time for a clean out.
    Old 12-30-2017, 09:55 PM

There is so many finishes and progress. They're wonderful quilts.
    I love going to the charity quilt stash. I take the most challenging. I have enough quilts (need to get rid of some). I get a new challenge and it doesn't add to my stack of quilts and it finishes another charity quilt.

I had plans to finish LA a quilt. First I had to get UFO's on top of the LA put away. An hour later, out came a customer project. While straighening the edges, I discovered the back is too small (I love this lady and she's always so creative, and a little scatter brained). I called her for directions. 8 hours later she hasn't returned my call. Since I hadn't expected her to, I got out a UFO to quilt. Discovered I didn't have an appropriate panto and don't feel very creative (I've already tried that on this quilt and had to un-sew). The web site for my favorite panto supplier has Mal-ware and not available. So, with DH's help, got the king size loaded. Hopefully within a couple days all this will be resolved.
    Tomorrow is Sunday ad DH wants me to help him put together the covers for my cold frame, raised veg garden. Maybe I'll be able to get it fertilized and water. Out here in sunny California, we're in a drought again. There might be a little rain on Wed.
    So I'll go hunt for another UFO for Monday.
    Old 12-30-2017, 10:49 PM
    Power Poster

Macybaby, your work is always so inspiring. Love how you appliqued a few rose blooms outside the trellis, so it would look like real roses growing through. Gorgeous!

I finished clue 7 of the BH mystery: 100 double geese units... all sewed wrong. I had my geese V shaped, not pyramid shaped, so that put the brown on the top, not the bottom. (Aren't real geese V shaped??) I was going to wait to see if I could use them that way anyway, but then got a wild hair tonight to rip them all out. So I picked out 100 seams with tiny stitching. My fingers hurt, but I'm ready to sew them all correctly tomorrow.

Cautionary Tale: Be sure your geese are flying the right way before you sew them!

We are expected to have an ice storm Sunday. It's 40 degrees tonight, but by 9am it's supposed to drop below freezing and stay there for days. It's rainy so they expect freezing rain, which is the pits. We hoped for some snow, not this awful mess. They have asked people not to get out and drive tomorrow unless it's an emergency, so I'm planning to stay in and sew to my heart's content. Hoping the power stays on!
    Old 12-31-2017, 03:05 AM

You're all putting me to shame. I've spent 15 mins tidying my sewing room! Today has got to be better I'm not going into 2018 with creative clutter around me. So much beautiful work. Love the woven curtains, all the square in squares, I've loads of batik so that might make a nice start to the new year. Macy tell me you're machine stitching those bindings. It takes me ages to hand stitch but I thought I was quite fast.
    Old 12-31-2017, 03:49 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teen
    QuiltnNan.....love the colors....I'm going to have to try that pattern with some scraps. You are rocking it this week with your generous gifts to cancer center. Very cool.....
    here's a link to the free pattern for you http://www.maryquilts.com/boxed-squares/
    Old 12-31-2017, 04:26 AM

Good morning! It's -18 this morning (but tomorrow is suppose to be the coldest). Glad I don't live where it gets really cold because this is cold enough for me! My digital outdoor gauge will error out at -19.9 so I expect that will happen be what it says tomorrow AM.

Not even any cat prints outside in the snow this AM - the outdoor cats are all curled up in the heated shop the last few days. They've put aside their disagreements for now . . . there are 6 of them outside.

I'm looking forward to another day of alternating binding and work in the BH Mystery. Not finished with clue 5 yet, so not started on 6 or 7 and expect we'll get 8 today. At least the last clues are on the assembly side, so they go a lot faster (no cutting and no trimming).

Now that I've got the larger quilts out of the way, the binding should go faster. I've got a few that have become favorites to bind up - that is a good motivator.

Yes Cannyquilter - I am machine stitching. If I was hand stitching, the first one wouldn't be done yet (probably not even started). When I started this back in 2014, I did one small wall hanging and it took me four hours to hand sew the back. That was when I decided if I wanted to make lots of quilts, hand sewing the binding was not going to work for me.
    Old 12-31-2017, 06:13 AM

Wow, everyone has some beautifully finished quilts.
    Old 12-31-2017, 06:55 AM

I was going to do some peicing, but since I had black thread on the machine and the next quilt in the pile needed black binding - I did that instead.

This one is going to hang on the wall behind the LA. Since the "Machine Shed" is in the next room, it's a good place for it. I went with Hearts for the quilting - since I do love my vintage machines!

This uses two panels and I got the basic layout from equilter (love them for panel ideas). I put the leftovers on the back, since I didn't think I'd want them for anything else and didn't want to cut them up for scraps.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:00 AM

Well, Bonnie's next assignment is out this morning so we MQers will have plenty to do! I can only sew a bit this morning as we are celebrating Christmas with our kids families today... but tomorrow is all mine! Of course, there will no doubt be another clue again tomorrow too.