Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Newbie building stash..... a question >
  • Newbie building stash..... a question

• Newbie building stash..... a question

Old 04-09-2011, 08:33 AM

Thank you everyone for your very well thought out ideas on how much yardage to purchase for a stash. I too find fat quarters a bit frustrating. Sometimes, there just doesn't seem to be quite enough for my project.
    I would just like enough fabric supply so that when I want to start a new project I can reach in and find at least the basics that I need. I think for me that means purchasing colors that I love. I don't think I can go wrong if I purchase my favorite colors as some of you mentioned.
    Having a stash of fabric for quilting is so different from ordinary garment sewing as you have something specific in mind and the yardage requirements when purchasing fabrics for garments and such.
    Thank you again for sharing your wisdom! :thumbup:
    Old 04-09-2011, 09:31 AM

Okay I am a relative newbie...I LOVE FAT QUARTERS! Love all the different colors but that being said I like a sale too! So when I see it on sale I buy. My stash is a little out of hand now so I am making scrappy lap quilts which I love. With fabric sooo expensive I just want to sew up what I have for a while.
    Old 04-09-2011, 09:45 AM

As some have said, I usually buy a bit more of each fabric needed for a specific project, just in case I cut wrong.
    Leftovers gointo stash.

I've also bought lots of fabric on sale, half price. Of course, I bought yards and yards. I still have loads of it.

I would say it depends on what you like to sew. If you like mostly matchy-matchy, planned, only use a few fabrics-typequilts, I wouldn't spend much to build a stash. If you love scrappy quilts like I do,then buy on sale, colors and prints that you love. You can use them for years. Fabric kept out of sunlight,heat,cold,and damp will be fine for decades.
    Old 04-09-2011, 09:49 AM

For me it's simple. If I love it - gotta have some. If it's just blenders I'll buy a 1/2 or a yard. If not, and I have money I get 3 yards. If I don't have much money, but still gotta have some, I get what I can afford at the time. If I have a quilt in mind I buy all that I need for the entire quilt and some extra for mistakes or accessories etc.
    Old 04-09-2011, 10:49 AM

If I LOVE it, I buy 4 yards minimum. If I like it, 2 yds. If it is cute 1 yard :-D
    Old 04-09-2011, 11:39 AM

If I like a fabric but don't have a project in mind, I buy a half yard. If I REALLY like it, (it is on sale) and could see it playing a major part in a quilt, I buy 3 yards. By buying half yards mostly, I have a lot of variety. The more fabrics in a quilt the better. The other half of my stash is built by left overs from projects and buying a scrap bag at my LQS when I see them.
    Old 04-09-2011, 09:12 PM

I have found from experience that I always seem to need more than a fat quarter for almost everything. I now buy at least a yard and sometimes 2, if I REALLY love it 3 yards. :lol:
    Old 04-09-2011, 10:17 PM

I used to buy fat quarters, then a yard or yard and 1/2. Now I buy mostly 2 yds are a little more if I really like it.
    Old 04-09-2011, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by CloverPatch
    Same here, don't really buy it just to have it. I always buy a little more than I need, just in case. If I find something on clearance or a good deal i will buy it, usually atleast 2 yards if I really like it. Most other stuff, if it is just pretty I will buy a yard. I have been collecting greens for a year now, so i buy a yard of this and that. Don't care for fat quarters. If doing a repeatative block your not going to get very far with a fat quarter. I only buy them for applique and such,.
    This sounds like a good idea. You just buy for what you are making and stash the extra. It will build up over time and not have a huge cash outlay in the process.
    Old 04-10-2011, 08:27 AM

I build my stash by watching sale papers. I also buy end pieces at the Wal-Mart, and I like to buy 2 yds. I will buy smaller if I really like it. Just bought 84 fat quarters at Tuesday Mornings. Its a close out store in our area. Great sale 12 for 5.99.