Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Newbie here: have a Bernina question and I need help. >
  • Newbie here: have a Bernina question and I need help.

• Newbie here: have a Bernina question and I need help.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:35 PM

I have a my second Bernina and enjoy using both of them. You might ask the seller how much sewing/quilts she has done and if anyone else uses the machine. That might give you an idea how much it has been used. There have been several other good suggestions.
    Old 11-28-2013, 07:12 PM

I have 2 Berninas. A 930 I bought new in 1986 and 730e I bought used off of eBay in 2006. Both are running great. I get them serviced yearly. Parts are still available for both. I had to replace the hook in the 930 last year. I use to make school uniforms for a Christian school on the 930 so it had been used hard. I bought the 730e for the embroidery. It does a beautiful job. When I bought mine used I had an agreement in writing that I had 30 days to play with it and give it a through workout. It had been serviced and every stitch, every part and attachment worked. I would get a used Bernina again. My dealer services the machine. I do buy extra feet and other supplies from them. If they had not been happy to service my machine I would have taken all,of my business elsewhere. I have to drive over an hour to get to the dealer and there is another one about the same distance the other direction. We were military so I have not been able to get the 930 serviced where I bought it except once because we would move. Most places seem to be glad to take care of the machine. I have had no problems.
    Old 11-28-2013, 08:31 PM

I agree with the ladies on here that have said to take the drive to see it. I have FOUR Bernina's. I love, love, love mine!! And if you have a dealer that you can take to have it serviced once a year, it will last you forever!
    Old 11-28-2013, 08:36 PM

Oh my, never posted before, but have to say I. Would run to buy the CL machine. I have bought 3 used Berninas and LOVED them all. My only regret was not keeping-my machines when I upgraded. ;(
    Old 11-29-2013, 05:32 AM

You may want to consider buying a used Bernina from a reputable dealer so that you have a warranty of some kind.
    Love my Bernie!!!
    Old 11-29-2013, 05:39 AM

I would be careful with Craigslist. I've found that most Bernina owners know how much their machines are worth and that they can get that much for them.
    Instead of jumping at either offer, why not wait until next Summer and the Bernina shop sales? They have some great deals and offer good financing. Or ...ask at the dealer about machines being traded in at Christmas and whether or not they have a contact list of interested buyers (you?) or about being contacted with future trade-ins. The BSR is a wonderful tool and helpful if you don't practice fmq. ... I don't practice, so I love being able to sit down and have good results. Also, the walking foot (an absolute necessity which can run around $160) has a guide you can use for quilt in the ditch...once you use it, you'll wonder how you ever did without it.
    If you buy low on the Bernina list, you are likely going to start thinking trade up in about a year...so take your time and get what you want/need now instead of future hassles. But be very wary of online shopping. I bought a 730 on Ebay and payed $2200. I was lucky it wasn't a piece of junk but I had spent about 3 months pouring over postings, investigating features, learning who were the good sellers and whom to avoid...it's going to take time.
    Old 11-29-2013, 07:27 AM

I have a Bernina 440QE and I love it. The only improvement would be a wider harp available in the some of the later models which have much more room for your quilt while you are quilting. Don't hesitate to purchase a used Bernina if it has been serviced and is in good condition.
    Old 11-29-2013, 03:31 PM

I have 3 Bernina machines. I wouldn't part with any of them. They are great machines. You won't be unhappy if you buy a Bernina. They are worth the money.
    Old 11-29-2013, 10:51 PM

Thanks for the link to the Bernina workbooks, Skyangel! I have a refurbished Artista 200 that I bought from a dealer about 6 1/2 years ago. I really love it, but wasn't able to take the classes offered. I took one class, then they changed the time to morning on workdays. Since I was still teaching, I couldn't get to them. Then the shop closed! I have gotten some info online, but have used just the basics. However, now I'm getting to take them at a different shop.

I was in the second shop a few weeks ago to buy a straight-stitch throat plate and mentioned my lack of classes. The manager said I could take them there because the original shop had closed!!! I've had two and will take the others over the next two weeks. However having the the workbook will be helpful, too, I'm sure!

This dealer also has classes for the embroidery module, as well as one for the BSR! I'll take those, too. Again, though, the workbook looks like a great resource! Thanks again for sharing.

Anne P
    Seattle
    Old 11-30-2013, 02:30 AM

I am personally a Bernina gal, and I can't really give you any advice on this set up, but I would personally purchase a Bernina over other machines, just my preference. I have a Bernina 930, that I purchased new in 1985, absolutely love it, and have never had any problems with it. I don't have a BSR, so I can't help there either. I do have a Bernina Walking foot I purchased many years ago and wouldn't do without it. I use my Bernina and my FW also have a walking foot for FW., I love both of these machines. I must admit I haven't used my Singer Golden Touch in years, have thought of selling it, but just can't seem to part with it, as it was my first machine, too sentimental I guess.