Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Newspaper used as batting in a vintage quilt. >
  • Newspaper used as batting in a vintage quilt.

• Newspaper used as batting in a vintage quilt.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:50 AM

I believe they used the newspaper in the old days for foundations then just kept them in for added warmth. I'd hesitate to use todays newspapers though because of the ink bleeding into the fabric.
    Old 01-20-2011, 09:13 AM

Yes, I can remember my grandmother talking of her mother using newspaper as batting in quilts. And years ago, my brother and I were given a summer job of tearing down the old, old farm house on my grandfathers's homestead. We found newspaper, bottles, jars, worn out shoes and clothing, all used as insulation between the wall boards.
    Old 01-20-2011, 09:14 AM

It has been interesting reading through the replies. I have heard from my mother about the use of newspaper in quilts, when times were bad. It is eye-opening to learn how people made it through when problems come.

As to the feathers - I also am allergic, not only to them, but to wool. So when my cousin gave me a comforter she had made filled with wool from her prize sheep, I could not use it. (But how could I tell her that?)
    Old 01-20-2011, 09:21 AM

My mother used newspaper for foundations. Never left them in a quilt. BUT - I do have an old tied quilt that has a hole in it and I can see what appears to be burlap bags used for batting. It's really heavy.
    Old 01-20-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tropical
    Has anyone heard of using newspaper as batting in a quilt? I was talking to a young woman Walmart associate today who wanted to know if she could help me locate what I was looking for in the magazine department. I was looking for a quilting magazine to browse through while waiting for my DH. She started telling me about three quilts her deceased grandmother had quilted and she had inherited. She was looking for someone to restore them. She proceeded to explain that newspaper had been used for batting. I thought that was a rather odd choice because how would you ever be able to clean them. Just wondering if anyone had heard of that practice.
    Oh my yes....not only heard of but my first large size quilt was made this way. My dear MIL Emma taught me. The newspaper was not batting but foundation paper. It is the old sew and flip thing. The newspaper was left in during the whole process, batting added, quilting etc. Then the quilt is washed and the newspaper melts away. Back then we used salvaged flannel from old clothes, pieces sewn together as a flat batt, before sandwiching...good cotton batt was not available and so was a polyester batt. We lived out no the ranch and the local shopping area had no fabric store per SE, just a craft general store that sold flats. We would scrounge white elephant sales and the thrift shops for old wool blankets and good condition sheets to make our backs and battings. I won a blue ribbon at the fair with that old quilt that was loved to death and it's self became the batt in a couple of baby quilts. I think Alex Anderson did a show on using newspaper for foundation on her old show on the Home and Garden network. You might find it archived there.
    Old 01-20-2011, 10:01 AM

Please help! just a little bit ago someone posted about a Toilet in TX made of one way glass Yes I know its not Quilts But I'am I nuts? want to find it again and can't have I really lost IT!LOL
    Old 01-20-2011, 11:15 AM

I have a small quilt made in the late 1800's that was never finished and the batting is old news papers. My mom wanted me to finish it but instead I had DH put it in a frame with the batting showing. I keep it in my sewing room. I love it, because it is so frugal. I also have about 10 all different sized blocks from the same GGM done in the early 1900's that DH is getting ready to put in frames for me.
    Old 01-20-2011, 11:53 AM

I made a Crazy Patch using news paper as foundation, they use to call them Chronicle Quilts. I saw a show on tv many years ago about it. I think I posted it in my pictures here when I joined.
    Old 01-20-2011, 12:05 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ
    Have you heard newspapers being called rags? The paper used was made from rags that the poor collected from the trash of the rich and sold to paper factories. No lie. I'm sure some people continued using newspapers after they were mostly wood fiber without realizing a change had happened.
    The first time I read about newspapers used as filler it referred to a Massachusetts quilt made in the 1700s, so paper, as you say, was probably recycled rags.
    Old 01-20-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
    Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ
    Have you heard newspapers being called rags? The paper used was made from rags that the poor collected from the trash of the rich and sold to paper factories. No lie. I'm sure some people continued using newspapers after they were mostly wood fiber without realizing a change had happened.
    The first time I read about newspapers used as filler it referred to a Massachusetts quilt made in the 1700s, so paper, as you say, was probably recycled rags.
    I wonder, since that was originally rag material, if the newspaper became soft when it was laundered??? Just wondering.