Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • No clock on my sewing machine >
  • No clock on my sewing machine

• No clock on my sewing machine

Old 09-15-2014, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by barny
    Friday afternoon I put 6 eggs to boil. [you know where I'm going, right]. Then I thought "I think I'll call my sister in Indiana and we talked 40 minutes. Eggs on high. We opened windows, all the doors, I'm still scouring the pan. And wiped down cabinets, walls, floor, etc, etc. Little pieces of shell and eggs all ooooover the place. I forgot to set the timer on the stove. LOL

I did that ONCE too....will never live it down w/ family...it was a mess.....
    Old 09-15-2014, 05:20 AM

When I retired, I received a fancy little clock. Not my style of decor. But it sits in a small space in my sewing area, so that I can check on the time. I listen to audio books as I sew and really do lose track of time.
    Old 09-15-2014, 05:22 AM

I don't have a clock in my sewing/quilting room, but I do have a small CD player. I put my favorite CD on and listen to the entire thing while I am working. It is exactly fifty-eight (58) minutes long when the fifteenth track is done. I know I've been working for about an hour. Sometimes I can play the CD twice if I'm really involved in a project that needs my full attention.
    Old 09-15-2014, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by barny
    Friday afternoon I put 6 eggs to boil. [you know where I'm going, right]. Then I thought "I think I'll call my sister in Indiana and we talked 40 minutes. Eggs on high. We opened windows, all the doors, I'm still scouring the pan. And wiped down cabinets, walls, floor, etc, etc. Little pieces of shell and eggs all ooooover the place. I forgot to set the timer on the stove. LOL
    I can identify with that story but mine was not as disastrous. I recall the same happening to my mom when she was sewing. A couple weeks ago I was boiling eggs to do a tuna salad for lunch. DH came in and asked if I wanted to go to the local cafe for lunch. Well, of course!! So I grabbed my purse and hopped in the car with him. I ordered a grilled chicken salad which comes with a couple slices of boiled egg on top.When I cut into my piece of egg I instantly recalled the eggs I had left boiling on the stove. I jumped up, said I had to go -- eggs left boiling on the stove -- and I ran out of the place and darted to my car. Went around two blocks, ran in and expected the worst -- eggs everywhere. But no. There was still a little water left in the pan. Several of the egg shells had cracked but that was it. I rushed back to the restaurant. When DH finished his lunch, I packed mine in a to-go box and finished at home. The eggs were fine, except the yolks had a layer of green around the edges.
    Old 09-15-2014, 05:29 AM

I can't stand to NOT have a clock available. I'm always squeezing time and without a visible clock I'm nervous that I'm going over and I have to get up and go find a clock anyway. Having a clock in the room actually relaxes me because I can be sure I'm still in "good time". Even on weekends, I like to keep track of the day. I will sometimes get to spend an entire day in the sewing room with no other responsibilities for the day, but I still want to know what time it is.
    Old 09-15-2014, 05:34 AM

Many times I have said to hubby, I need a clock on my SM. I don't have one as yet. I do sometimes glance in the lower right corner to check the time, then remember that is the computer, not the SM. LOl
    Old 09-15-2014, 06:03 AM
    Power Poster

Time flys when you are having fun...
    Old 09-15-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by franc36
    There is a clock in my sewing room that I can see from most areas as I work. Today, for lunch, I was baking a quiche that needed to cook for 45 minutes. I took a timer set for 43 minutes to the sewing room so I wouldn't forget to take the quiche out of the oven on time. I spend every spare minute quilting and often use the timer.
    I have severe memory deficits, so it is not unusual to have up to four different timers set in different areas of the house. One for the stove, one for each of the burners being used, and one for whatever show I am waiting to start....
    Old 09-15-2014, 09:26 AM

I've had my share of burned & cracking eggs. Martha Stewart says to put eggs in pan and bring to rolling boil, turn off burner, put on lid and set timer for either 13 or 14 minutes. Perfect hard boiled eggs every time. And the yellows don't have that green tinge to them. It does take longer for jumbo eggs which I found out the hard way. I can usually stay close to the stove at least until water boils after that - who knows?
    Old 09-16-2014, 02:48 AM

I also put eggs on to boil. Went out to the garden and got involved in the outdoors. It was such a beautiful day. Eggs had exploded all over the place. A wonder I didn't burn the house down somehow. That happened 35 years ago and I still come close to doing it again!