Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • No More Quilting Purchases!!! >
  • No More Quilting Purchases!!!

• No More Quilting Purchases!!!

Old 07-25-2011, 05:53 PM

I haven't bought ANY fabrics in over 80 days ( the exact # is on my caledar at the other house) I DO NOT open any E/Ms from fabric stores- I delete delete delete-I have found alternate routes to veer away from those stores that carry fabric I sent my brother into Hancocks for a spool of Teal thread and I stayed in the car --I will make it to the end of the month on only 1 tank of gas instead of 3= A cool $100.in my pocket and Lord only knows how much I saved by not buying fabric It was rough going at first but I can go into my fav W/M and not go into the fab dept I was only going to abstain for 100 days to win a bet But I will go longer than that because I don't really need more than 14 pickup trk loads of fab If I DON"T HAVE IT I DON"T NEED IT is my new motto
    Old 07-25-2011, 05:54 PM

Ha, I don't go to the fabric stores. I shop on the Classifieds here!!! Always find something I can't resist! see, yall are the enablers!!
    Old 07-25-2011, 06:08 PM

How about setting aside a weekly budget for a fabric allowance? Make a list for exactly what you have to have, not your wants. Keep the list in your purse. For me, I have to stay totally out of craft stores, or I will definetly find something to buy. I am on a strict budget now, and I will only buy something if I have the cash saved for it. That is how I control my spending.

Saying you will just stop altogether is a bit extreme. This is a reasonable compromise. If it is not on your need list, don't buy it!
    Old 07-25-2011, 06:16 PM

Yes, I have the same problem, I set a budget for the month and just blow thru it! Teehee, it is fun though! So now I have an envelope system that I put cash in for the month. I just save it and go thru other money, gee, no help here. On a good note, I got my Hancocks flyer today :)
    Old 07-25-2011, 06:24 PM

When I go to the fabric store, I take cash with me. No credit card, no check book. Before, I would go there knowing that I had my check book and could write a check if I went over whatever cash I had. Now, I only take my cash, my calculator and my % off coupons. I will be retiring soon and will have to curtail the spending so I might as well start biting that bullet now so I won't be whining later:). I did one day have to run to my car and dig around the seats for some extra change and my emergency $5.00's.
    Old 07-25-2011, 06:28 PM

I have found that if I get so much fabric, with time I don't care for it like I imagined I would when I bought it! I satisfy myself with a couple fat quarters and get out! It's so fun to be ready to start a new project and go out and purchase just what I need-that way I know I'm going to use it. I don't like to have several projects stacked up to do. I'd much rather choose a NEW project when one is finished. I lived with frugal parents and a husband who is gracious, but I know my bounds!
    Old 07-25-2011, 06:32 PM

Instead of going to a quilt shop at lunch time shop your stash and then take some quilt books to work and look through them and figure out what you can make with what you have. I use to do this and we also use to take hand work in the lunchroom too. Kinda gives you a lift in the middle of the day doing something that you enjoy and you would not believe how much you get done 1/2 hr a day.
    Old 07-25-2011, 06:41 PM
    Power Poster

Whoa is me also....just can't keep out of the shops, they always have something new and beautiful. My car has a mind of its own and pulls into the direction of these shops :-)
    Old 07-25-2011, 06:54 PM

you request gift cards from these places for birthday and Christmas and any other gift giving event and that way
    you are limited in what you are spending...
    Old 07-25-2011, 07:07 PM

Can't help you, I'm in therapy