Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • No stash -- on purpose?? >
  • No stash -- on purpose??

• No stash -- on purpose??

Old 01-15-2011, 03:50 PM
    Gal

My stash if you could call it that is very modest, I use recycled clothing and op shop purchases to make my quilts. I do buy a little if I need a special colour though. I love the challenge of designing my quilts around a colour theme or a particular fabric I have found. There is never enough of course working this way so my quilts are mostly organized scrappy types. I have a couple of large boxes of fabrics, most have been garments which I wash and unpicked and cut into the largest pieces I can. I tend to keep to just a few colour ways, that way everything is colour co-ordinated. Blue is what I am collecting right now, I do put a lot of thought into the planning of a quilt and sometimes I have to wait a good while untill all the fabric pieces are found and I can pull it all together. I like to work this way and everyone seems to like what I do when I give my quilts to them.
    I do not know what I would do if I suddenly won Lotto and could go wild in a quilting store, probably come out with fabrics I would never use having bought them on impulse!!

Gal
    Old 01-15-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by marthe brault-hunt
    We should avoid to judge the stash of our friend quilters. We all live in a free country where there is no quilt police to inspect our stash. Some of us have the money or the credit card to buy at will. Some of us hide what they buy, some are happy to go to garage sales, Some will quilt on the kitchen table, some have a quilting room all to themselves. Some make quilts by the dozen, some produce one every two years. We are all women (men) with a different life story, and a passion that cannot be measured of love of quilting. We learn one from the others, we commiserate on our hard spots in life, we are happy to share our joys.The new year is just beginning , can we just take the resolution of respecting each other.
    Thank you for writing this and posting it. I was getting a little jittery from a previous posting.
    Old 01-15-2011, 04:20 PM

love my stash it gives me insperation (sp) to add it in a new project
    Old 01-15-2011, 04:23 PM

I think it would be quite unlikely to have that happen very often in this neck of the woods. One is always looking for new ways to incorporate the left overs from the last quilt into the new one...because of the $$$ situation as mentioned before. Besides that, there is always a time when the project is saved by that little bit here and there.
    Old 01-15-2011, 04:26 PM

I admire anyone who can resist having a stash. I have a stash. Since I just moved, my storage space is limited in my apartment. I have organized a "Sew & Sew" club for my neighbors in my building. I mentioned that my donation of lap quilts would go faster, if I had help quilting and tying them. You will never know, how some older ladies were just waiting for the opportunity to get involved. I have several tops in various sizes completed but not layered. As I pull one out, I hunt my stash for a coordinating lining. I have 3 ready to present for quilting/tying at our coming 2 hour session.

I crochet, some knit and others want to learn. This looks like it is really going to be successful.
    Old 01-15-2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by pab58
    Does anyone not have a stash -- ON PURPOSE???? I just finished talking with a co-worker who is also a quilter, and she told me that she doesn't have a stash. She said she used to but found it too depressing to go into her sewing area and see all the -- what she termed -- unfinished projects (meaning the fabric in the stash that has not been used). She only buys fabric when she has a specific project she will be making. She brought in a quilt to show me that she had made for her nephew when he was young. She said she had taken a class for that particular quilt, and when she was finished, she asked if anyone wanted her leftover fabric. The women were agast that she didn't want to keep it to add to her stash. They were even more amazed that she had chosen NOT to have a stash. :| When she does see fabric that strongly appeals to her, she will purchase it and make the quilt right away. Get this: she used to work at a fabric store!!! Once upon a time I worked for Minnesota Fabrics, and I could not resist buying fabrics as we would get in a new collection!!! I don't know how she does it!!! She certainly has much more willpower than me!!! :roll: I do have a stash. It's not huge, and I "shop" from it first when gathering fabrics for a quilt. If I don't have something that will work for the quilt, then I will go shopping for what I need. :wink:

So-o-o-o the question is: do you not have a stash -- ON PURPOSE?? :?
    I do not have a large stash because I cannot afford a big stash. I too only buy fabric for a project I am working on. I just can't see buying fabric and just storing it. Esp. since it cost so much.
    Old 01-15-2011, 04:33 PM

I don't know how or why she does it. I am just the opposite. I love seeing my fabric. Looking at it, touching it, reorganizing it, talking to it, planning for it, even cutting it up and using it!!! The more the better for me!!!
    Old 01-15-2011, 05:20 PM

Yes I have a stash. But when I started sewing(about 5 yrs ago) I didn't know what I was doing I didn't even know how to use a ruler.LOL... and bought just any fabric.Now I have all this fabric I can't use. Now I buy 100% Cotton once in while cotton/poly. So I have tried selling it on yard sales and someitmes people buy it. So I am trying one more time this spring and what doesn't sell is going to charity someplace.

I'm still new to quilting and need to get some blenders. I love fabric!!
    Old 01-15-2011, 05:24 PM

As I've said before on here, I am not a stash person either. I can't stand having all that material laying around thinking I mite use it sometime. I do not throw away my scraps, as I am a scrappy quilt maker and also I love to do applique. But I never buy material just to buy, unless it is something I really love. Then I will buy ONLY 1/4th yd!!! How about that? I guess I am not normal, according to most other quilters. I also think if I die, my husband would just throw it all in the dump. That would really be a waste.
    Old 01-15-2011, 05:44 PM

No stash??? I don't know what I would do if I did not have mine. I go to it with every new project. Most of the time I find exactly what I need. I never throw away anything because I know I will eventually find a use for it.
    Give my scraps away???? Oh my no