Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone? >
  • Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone?

• Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone?

Old 12-03-2013, 07:10 PM

I was the youngest for so long..one day I looked up and I was the oldest! Not a problem we all love quilting and we all seem to be really wonderful people with a lot in common. I have never met a group of people more congenial than a group of quilters. I am older now but I still have the same convictions, desires and love of life. I like to say I have just slept a few more nights! Go! You will have a blast!
    Old 12-03-2013, 07:15 PM

Try it with a positive tune. At worst you just have some quality time with yourself quilting and remember your company is good company or you may make a friend or two or more.
    Old 12-03-2013, 07:24 PM

Quilters are wonderful people! Go by yourself and get the buffet they offer. You can sit by anyone you want, and strike up a conversation. I've met some wonderful people that way. You'll go alone but leave with several new friends! I promise.
    Old 12-03-2013, 07:30 PM

I am headed to my first retreat alone in January and I can hardly wait. I told friends about it but didn't want to try to "convince" someone to go, it was something I wanted to do. I think from my experiences in quilt shops and shows, it will be a wonderful time. So I say, go, have fun!
    Old 12-03-2013, 07:42 PM

I have never been to one either, I would be curious how it goes. I'm about your age.. Thirty something, married, no kids. If any of these retreats are in or near AZ, let me know maybe we can meet up! I'm new to this. I have made several tops, have a few in progress and have finished one complete quilt for my dad. I'm sort of home bound and miss interaction of people from having a job. ( not that my hubby is not people, but I'm sure you know what I mean) I love this hobby, it's just one of the more solitary ones I could have picked. I have a Facebook friend who does mosaic art, she travels the world with her mosaic friends going to conventions and shows. She just got back from a retreat in Costa Rica!
    Old 12-03-2013, 07:45 PM

How funny! When I went to my first retreat I was in the exact same boat you are in now. I was 34, I didn't know anyone, I was a pretty new quilter and I tend to be shy in those type situations.

I had a ball at mine, and have gone to several since then! I say go!
    I grew up in Sonoma County (Sebastopol), unless the people have changed a whole lot I believe you will find a fun group to spend some time with. Sometimes the 'older' ladies are the funnest!!

But, I agree with Jan. If you find yourself sitting next to a member of the QPD, relocate yourself!
    Old 12-03-2013, 07:49 PM

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Be Brave! You owe it to yourself to take advantage of all the knowledge you will find there!
    Old 12-03-2013, 07:52 PM

Oh please. I just wish I had a venue and the time to go. The one retreat I was lucky enough to attend was with my two sisters (a once in a lifetime opportunity) but I definitely was the odd person out because I knew nobody in the group.
    Having said that--everyone was fabulous. I/we had a wonderful time. Please please go and enjoy everything. You will not be a stranger for more than 5 minutes.

Oh how much I envy your opportunity!! Please post pics.
    Old 12-03-2013, 07:58 PM
    Power Poster

Some great advice here....I say go for it! I wish I had have stepped out of my comfort zone many years ago....took me 'til I was 40 to do so (I am your quintessential weird loner). Now I am 50, I am far braver, have made some good friends (a real mix of younger and older people) and life is much richer for it. A smile is a good way to start.....if you do decide to go...let us know how it goes.
    Old 12-03-2013, 08:04 PM

You are conscious of your inexperience as a quilter- wait until they hear you program computers! Be prepared to be questioned about many different areas of "computing". You may have to turn the conversation back to quilting more than once to get your questions answered. You're going to be a hit for sure!