Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone? >
  • Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone?

• Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone?

Old 12-03-2013, 08:33 PM

You just get an opportunity to make new friends. That is how I used to view it and it was true.

Sometimes those that go with their friend never really branch out and meet the others but stick together. Already you are ahead of the curve.

Go and have a great time.
    Old 12-03-2013, 09:18 PM

I'm a 48 year old man with a beard. I've also been a shy loner type most of my life. I spent most of Black Friday's morning at Joann Fabrics waiting for my fabric to be cut. I stuck out like a sore thumb. Most of the very few men there were with thier wives-they weren't buying fabric for themselves like I was. While there I had more than one conversation with the ladies sitting around waiting for thier turn too. If I can have decent conversations with people with no more in common than we're in the fabric store together you can too.
    If you want to start a conversation ask questions. Most people love to share what they know. I say go and have fun, at the very least you're bound to learn some new things.
    Rodney
    Old 12-03-2013, 09:34 PM

I've never been to one, either, and have similar questions. Looks like there's nothing to fear. As far as things in common, you might really be surprised. Everyone has a family of origin; ask about theirs. Everyone has/had/wants
    a job. Ask what theirs is/what they'd do if not doing their current job. Everyone has people important in their lives, favorite places they've been. And everyone likes to feel heard. So if you go with the thought to make someone feel heard by listening, you will make a friend by being one.
    Old 12-03-2013, 10:07 PM

I've never been to a retreat, but I'm like you in that give a presentation-piece of cake, go into a room and introduce myself in a social situation and I feel sick. I plucked up the courage to join a quilting group and the ladies couldn't have been more welcoming and friendly, and after the first terrifying moment of walking in I now eagerly look forward to going and cant wait for my monday quiltin group to come around. Go relax and enjoy
    Old 12-04-2013, 12:50 AM

I belong to a quilt guild in Sonoma County and we have members of all ages, quilting spans the generations. My guild sponsors a retreat twice a year and has a very flexible policy that allows you to pick and choose. You can sign up for the whole weekend or just come out for a day. That might be a good way for you to see how comfortable you are without having to spend a big wad. Pm me if you would like more info.
    Old 12-04-2013, 04:00 AM

A retreat where I know no one -- WOW what an opportunity to get things done and pick a few brains as well. I also have no children or grandchildren, but I do have furbabies, so I can hold my own. While there is nothing shy about me, I have found that the more I listen, the more I learn, and I always learn more from those I have not met before.

Quilters are great sharers and are always willing to assist. I say go for it and have a great time.
    Old 12-04-2013, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7
    I hear where you are coming from -- I'm the older quilter, retired, with grandkids. If I were at a retreat and knew you didn't know anyone I would make a point to introduce myself and spend time with you. Try it--you may decide you like it. Let them know you are new and I would bet you will make lots of new friends. When at a table with someone introduce yourself, tell them a little about yourself. Don't come across as a know-it-all (and hopefully they won't either). You will find that quilting will give you something in common and you will find other things you will have to talk about too. Let us know what your experience is like.
    This is what I do, too. I have found a lot of quilters to be very kind people.
    Old 12-04-2013, 04:09 AM

I agree with the group. Go and have a ball. Make the effort to step out of your "comfort zone" by admiring someone else's work. As how they did something. You will make friends - I did.
    Old 12-04-2013, 04:15 AM

By all means GO!!! I've found that most quilters have so much in common that they are easy to make friends with. I think you'll be surprised at how quickly you'll find yourself feeling at ease and making new friends. Quilters are some of the nicest people in the world.
    Old 12-04-2013, 04:34 AM

I guess it depends on what a "retreat" is. Does it mean that there is no teacher showing you a new technique? Is it a time to get away and work on your own projects? I've never gone to those. I live alone, and it's easier to work on my stuff at home. I always had the feeling that the people who enjoy those are trying to get away from the responsibilities of everyday life... cooking, cleaning, husband, kids...

What I will travel to is to spend time with a well-known teacher that I admire and want to know her techniques. Since those things are structured, I don't have to worry about sitting alone in a corner pretending that I'm wallpaper. I find it much easier to get to know other students, and have made some lasting friendships from people all over the country that way.