Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Not Gonna Finish It >
  • Not Gonna Finish It

• Not Gonna Finish It

Old 02-17-2011, 07:24 AM

I hated the quilting part of it also. I don't like tied quilts or tying a quilt, so it has to be sewed. I didn't like sewing and running into a pin that needed removing. I switched to basting spray and that eliminated that problem. I tried SITD and couldn't sew a straight line so thought FMQ was the answer. What is said about that? Practice, practice, practice. Many practice sandwiches later I am still practicing. After every practice session I go back to my walking foot. I like my walking foot and straight line quilting with soft curves here and there. To me it is fast and easy and emulates the quilting done years ago; but I'm still practicing FMQ. There is a book out there which gives many ideas for walking foot quilting; but I can't remember the name. I saw it once in a store but didn't buy it and now I wish I had. Anyway, quilting is about finding the method that works for you even if it means using the LAQ's.
    Old 02-17-2011, 07:35 AM

Hi! I'm new here and feel your pain! Quilting is not my favorite part of making a quilt either, but I sure don't hate it like you do. Sometimes it IS better to get a project out of your life and move on. However, I usually wrack my brain and try to find a way to make things work before resorting to that. You mention that it is a very girly feminine quilt. Could you tie it with narrow ribbon (pink or whatever goes best with your fabric...even several colors?) like you would tie yarn and then make a bow on top of each knot? Of course, you'd have to use a large-eyed needle to get the ribbon through the layers. The 1/4" ribbon is very economical when purchased by the roll. Would that be tolerable for you to do and still not hate it? I think it would look sweet! Seems a shame to waste all your previous efforts!
    Old 02-17-2011, 07:38 AM
    Power Poster

Just tie it or run lines over it with a walking foot (set stitch lenght to 3) along the ditch. I think now with all the long arms out there we expect way too much from our quilting. It is ok to have just some basic finnished lines especially for a baby quilt.
    Old 02-17-2011, 07:56 AM

How about a straight or diagonal grid? Some oh my favorite quilts are done that way.
    Old 02-17-2011, 08:27 AM

SID, diagional, design using lines to get you started. I feel sad at seeing you give up so soon but if you are determined to avoid quilting at all costs then there is nothing wrong with using a professional but if you plan on quilting for a long time that would become expensive.

You have nothing to loose in trying and learning...it just takes patience and practice. None of us ever started out knowing what we were doing.... we just kept at it till we did learn.
    Old 02-17-2011, 09:12 AM

I agree with tying it but I would use embroidery floss or heavy thhread instead of yarn since it is for a baby. The yarn sometimes gets fuzzies on it.
    Old 02-17-2011, 09:16 AM

Life is too short to spend time on something you really do not want to do, be thankful you found that out and move on. I gave quilting a try with no help and just scraps imagining the beautiful and economical crazy quilt I could make. That was in 1961 and I decided it was not for me. I did not even consider it again till last year when I decided that I would give it another try. I even put away my sewing machines for over 25 years as other things got in the way. Now I am back to what I have always enjoyed (since I started at 11) sewing, but today it is teaching others to sew and making limited quilts for myself and others. PS I don't own a long arm so my quilts are made on a home machine with a walking foot using the QAYG method. :)
    Old 02-17-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Gaigai - I understand, so don't quilt. Leave that to those who wanna. And do send it to Kwhite. LOL. I am still laughing, not at you but with you. YOu sound so upset. HOw about a glass of Desarona on the rocks? SO calming.
    I second all of that and the "Desarona"...lol
    Old 02-17-2011, 10:20 AM

Sometimes projects need to "percolate" or age for a bit--I've learned not to rush a project if it's not working and usually get excited about it later to finish. For a baby quilt-stitch in the ditch is fine.
    Old 02-17-2011, 10:20 AM

I love to piece a quilt. I dread putting the backing, batting and quilt top together. Only cause I don't have anywhere big enough to do it. I just can't get down on the floor anymore. I ruined my knees and back riding horses all my life but it was fun..lol Anyway....I have 3 quilts ready to be sandwiched. Am nervous contemplating the quilting too but the one quilt am going to make it a learning process and try to machine quilt it. The second one am going to hand quilt and the largest quilt am sending it off to be done. Hopefully one day the quilting part of this will be as enjoyable for me. Have you tried hand quilting? I never thought i would like it but tried it this past summer because my sewing group was making a quilt to raffle off and I felt I needed to do my part. Some of the ladies taught me and I found I really enjoy hand quilting! If I want a quilt done quickly I send it to my LAQ. You put alot of time into the baby quilt so let someone finish it for you and give it to the baby. You will be glad you did and then start another quilt...lol :)