Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt >
  • Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt

• Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt

Old 05-16-2011, 01:14 PM

You have inspired me !!!!! I'm an artist first and then a biginna quilter...I have been wanting to do a wall art hanging for 2 yrs..I have collected tons of landscaping fabric....but just haven 't tried....I guess i'm afraid I will fail !!!...your's is great ...I was in an art class once that 8 of us had to paint the same thing....very interesting...all 8 were totally different BUT the same thing....please keep posting photos as you are working on it...I'm so inspired now...THANKS
    Old 05-16-2011, 01:18 PM

It's a pretty quilt picture. I took a thread painting class - have yoy? Perhaps you can use a thread painting technique on it to make the "picture" more dimentional. I think it's pretty, though and you are inspiring me to get more creative. Thanks for sharing.
    Old 05-16-2011, 01:19 PM

omg you got to be kidding this is out of this world no way in green aces would I ever get this great
    Old 05-16-2011, 01:24 PM

I think it is great...and I'm not an artist, but I think you might try for more shading...especially in the trees and grasses, trying some lighter and/or darker hues for the shading of the colors. I think that might make a big difference. And, I agree with some of the other suggestions that have been given. Love it...I wouldn't even attempt it. :)
    Old 05-16-2011, 01:24 PM

What a lot of your work has gone into this quilt. I have never made an art quilt. I have done pen and ink. I think that maybe the use of a speckled fabric for the house would suggest a stone exterior rather than the blocks. Also maybe a light rust stripe to mimic the tiled roof. I would skip the flower vase and instead use flowers topping the stone wall. What a big mouth I have. What ever you choose I think it will be great.
    Old 05-16-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by catrancher
    I'm taking a class from Quilt University--no complaints about the class so far. I'm just not very happy with the quilt I'm making. What do you think is wrong with this? Are my fabrics too busy? Something else? Am I putting in too much? Not enough? I'm thinking it will improve when I add thread embellishment to define some things, but will it improve enough that I'll be happy with it?

I'm giving you a picture of the image I'm working from--a little stone house I saw while traveling in Italy--followed by my so-called quilt interpretation.

I've never considered myself very artistic, and I'm feeling pretty discouraged by this. I'm only about 1/3 finished with it, obviously. Any constructive feedback would be appreciated.
    I love you landscape! ...IJMHO said with kindness: Some of the things I would do is: leave the mountains alone, move the green tree to the left on the other side of the walk and maybe closer to the front of the picture to draw you to the end of the path; add more stones to the church when the green tree is moved. Next, I would tone down the red tree and maybe make it a smaller as well. My eyes are drawn to the greenness of the tree and the red bush. They seen to be competing with the church which I think was meant for your focus of the landscape. I think you have done a fabulous job as I remember my first landscape was a labor of love and took a lot of tweaking til I got it the way I wanted it. It is also my avatar...
    Again, kindly submitted...
    Old 05-16-2011, 02:05 PM

If it were mine I would consider maybe tea staining or something when it is done to mute it. that is what I liked about the picture - everything is muted and moody. Virg
    Old 05-16-2011, 02:06 PM

are U kidding me are you fishing :P It looks great, the only thing I would change is the white mountain in the back and make it green but saying that it just me and how i work...who are you taking the class with...Keep going and don't look back....it's wonderful.... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 05-16-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by quiltyfeelings
    I think it's beautiful. maybe you just need to put it aside for awhile and work on something else. perhaps this project has muddled your mind ;) taking a break will probably help you get your PROPER! perspective back. Again, it is amazing. Great job!
    This is very good advice. I'm thinking of starting over with a less complicated image. I have just the one in mind.
    Old 05-16-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by catrancher
    Originally Posted by quiltyfeelings
    I think it's beautiful. maybe you just need to put it aside for awhile and work on something else. perhaps this project has muddled your mind ;) taking a break will probably help you get your PROPER! perspective back. Again, it is amazing. Great job!
    This is very good advice. I'm thinking of starting over with a less complicated image. I have just the one in mind.
    Oh, don't start over! Everyone will always have their point of view. You know what you have in mind as the artist of the landscape!! Keep going!