Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Novice Quilter >
  • Novice Quilter

• Novice Quilter

Old 04-12-2014, 08:22 AM

Hi there mateoh, welcome to the Board. You'll have noticed there are some members who post a lot, other's who are rarely heard from. There is not only lots of good information to be heard here, there are also refences to many other places to go for help or just to look at something different.

In a way we are all newbies. There is always either something new or something old that has been changed. Or, like me, may have been a "quilter" for a long time but have actually finished very few pieces, just collected a large "stash" - to me that means more than you can possible use if you live to at least 100. Have fun with it, enjoy the different personalities and opinions you see and let us see what you make. No one will criticize unless you ask for a critique; even they most are gentle. Joyce in Delaware
    Old 04-12-2014, 08:23 AM

You bet there are lots of newbies in this group......me included! There is a wealth of information from ladies on this board. I have made two quilts and have learned a lot when I made each one. Problem now is to remember what I have learnd
    Old 04-12-2014, 08:36 AM

I too am a mewby, but have seen sewing for 50+ years and have always been really good at looking at things and figuring out how to do it and have read so many books and magazines I feel good about working on my first quilt. My biggest problem has been room (small house and raise dogs) and time. Just sold last of litter of Golden pups, only have one girl still here, she is staying, and too many RT's but space is the big problem, but I keep working on it.
    Welcome and you will learn much here and get answers to any questions. Remember no question is a stupid question so ask and you will receive lots of answers and help.
    Old 04-12-2014, 09:44 AM

I am sure there are hundreds....I think all of us learn something every time we log onto the Board.....there are so many new frinds to be made, so much info to exchange..............HAVE FUN and remember to post pictures so we can all share in your accomplishments............
    Old 04-12-2014, 09:59 AM

I am fairly new and have learned everything that I have ever done from this board or the internet, Never give up and be confident! My first quilt is the one in my avatar, No the colors are not great but you know what, no one had told me points were hard and they all turned out perfect Maybe I was lucky because I have had a couple not so perfect ones since then! Welcome come, experiment and just enjoy!
    Old 04-12-2014, 10:19 AM

I have been on this board for just over a year and last night I was finishing a binding that came out beautifully, and I thought to myself, I learned this from "the pros on the board"!
    Old 04-12-2014, 10:52 AM

I'm a Newbie in Texas too, just started last year. I've made a few baby blankets & a couple of quilts from kits but thats it, I've never taken a class just about everything I've learned was from the wonder board! Welcome to the fun!
    Old 04-12-2014, 11:04 AM
    Power Poster

Sometimes I feel like a beginner. There are so many things that I am not that good at. But when I give a quilt away, I have never had any complaints. I have never tried paper piecing, and only have done two small lap quilts in the style of quilt as you go, but there are a lot of other things I have learned over the years, from this group, and by trial and error. This is a terrific place to ask a question because so many people are very willing to help you with any part of the quilting world.
    Old 04-12-2014, 11:27 AM

Every time I try a new technique or ruler, I'm a newbie all over again....even though I'm a long-time quilter. I love watching this board to keep up with what's new----or what I remember from 25 years ago that somebody has just discovered and thinks is new.....and I didn't have the skills or nerve to try it back then but I do now. Welcome!
    Old 04-12-2014, 03:01 PM

As mentioned in an earlier post, some of us don't post regularly ... but I can tell you I visit the board 6 out of 7 days and have learned gained a lot of information. I enjoy projects and posts other have to share.