Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Now I've done it. Threads too short >
  • Now I've done it. Threads too short

• Now I've done it. Threads too short

Old 11-04-2014, 11:53 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan
    If it isn't too many places. I would use a straight pin in to unsew about 2inches back, tie and bury the ends, re-insert my quilt in the machine and re-quilt the 2 inches and knot and bury again.
    This was the first thought that came to mind what I would do. No need to panic.
    Old 11-04-2014, 12:39 PM

It's very easy to stick an empty needle into your quilt along the same path you want the buried thread to run. Leave the eye sticking out close to your thread 'stub' and use a simple wire needle threader to thread it. Once threaded, just pull the needle through the top/batting as usual. The short end will bury itself as it pulls out of the needle. If you can run it back through the quilting line, it'll be more secure. I've done this with ends as short as a half inch and they are still buried after five years.

Last edited by ghostrider; 11-04-2014 at 12:43 PM.
    Old 11-04-2014, 01:29 PM

You could make a "sinker". Thread both ends of a short piece of thread in a needle so there is a loop of thread. . Insert into fabric, etc. and catch the loose end of the thread you want to bury inside the loop of the sinker. Pull the sinker thru. Your thread end will follow and be buried.
    Old 11-04-2014, 03:58 PM

I do what Tartan said - un-do a few a few inches, enough to tie it off and bury the thread. Then, if needed, I've even hand quilted a few stitches to fix it up. When the quilt is washed, it's near impossible to find the boo boos.
    Old 11-04-2014, 04:00 PM

Yes! That is exactly what I do too. Those needles are worth their weight in gold! Mine are John James Easy Threading needles.

Originally Posted by Sewnoma
    Do you have any of the needles where you just pop the thread into the eye from the top, rather than threading it the conventional way? With one of those and some tweezers, I can thread and bury thread as short as a half-inch long. Put the needle most of the way into the fabric, pop that little thread tail in (grab it with the tweezers) and pull the needle the rest of the way through. Taa-daa! Thread tail gone.

Not sure what you could put on there to keep it from working its way back out, though. Not sure how likely that is, if you bury it close to the original knot. Maybe a dot of fray check?
    Old 11-05-2014, 03:52 AM

The cheater needles (I use the John Flynn brand - found them in a quilt store) work well in burying threads. If the thread is short, I insert the needle part ways into the quilt and then put the thread into the eye opening and pull it through the quilt. If this is not possible, a fine crochet hook does a good job of pulling the thread into the quilt.
    Old 11-05-2014, 05:23 AM

If you can un pick the stitches you can go back a few inches and bury them and start a short section.
    Old 11-05-2014, 07:13 AM

I use a self-threading needle for short threads. Insert the needle into your quilt at the point where you want the threads buried, then pop the threads into the top of the needle, and pull through. As long as you have at least an inch of thread, you should be okay.
    Old 11-05-2014, 07:19 AM

Use a dental threader, put the needle 1/2.way in, thread it and pull it through.
    Old 11-05-2014, 07:27 AM
    Power Poster

I have had threads as short as 1 1/2 inches buried. Push the needle part way into the fabric and then thread it.