Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Now Walmart has material back, does anyone? >
  • Now Walmart has material back, does anyone?

• Now Walmart has material back, does anyone?

Old 11-12-2011, 06:25 PM

I haven't been to Walmart in a while, so I don't know what they have. I try to support the smaller businesses.
    Old 11-12-2011, 07:02 PM

We have three Wal-Marts here in Wichita Falls, TX. One has had fabric all along, one lost their fabric dept. and I don't know if it has come back, and the newest doesn't have fabric.

The Wal-Mart that has continued to have fabric just reorganized their department. When I was there a week ago, no one knew where anything was, as I was looking for backing, which they knew they had, but didn't know quite well. After I found it, I told them where I got it so they could return it to the right spot. I also found fabric that I had run short of for a quilt in progress. It was fabric I had ordered online, and I had just gone to look for something that would work....and I found the exact fabric! I was one pleased quilter.

I am happy with Wal-Mart and its fabric dept.
    Old 11-12-2011, 07:16 PM
    SEW

I bought a pretty fabric there today. Looks and feels like good quality...paid $6.00 a yard. Looking forward to using it soon!
    Old 11-12-2011, 07:34 PM

our walmart in clinton,iowa...hasnt any fabric as of yet.
    Old 11-12-2011, 08:01 PM

The Walmart by me has its fabric department back but I am not impressed by the fabric. I will see something that is really cute design but the fabric quality is very thin and loosely woven. And the prices seem higher than they used to be, but then that's everywhere. I would rather pay a little more and get good quality fabric.
    Old 11-12-2011, 08:06 PM

I never go into WalMart for many reasons, but I would bet that their fabrics are the same as their other goods. They force ccompanies to make say, Hanes socks, with a lower thread count than they use for Target, for example, which is why WalMart clothes rip and wear out. I bet their fabrics are made with lower thread counts and I wouldn't be surprised if they use dyes that are harmful, because all of their stuff is made in China.
    Old 11-12-2011, 08:06 PM

I buy thier fabric. Some is good, some not so good. You have to use your own judgment.
    Old 11-12-2011, 08:19 PM

We have 5 Walmart stores where I live, 2 of which never lost their fabric department, just reduced it. Now I'm happy to say we only have one WalMart that is without a fabric department. I went on the web-site for our WalMarts that began carrying fabric again to thank the manager for doing so. The 2 stores that have begun carrying it again have a very nice, large fabric department; very impressive! They carry the cheaper fabric, but they also carry nicer fabric. It may not be quilt shop grade at $9 and $10 a yard, but then not every quilt is an heirloom. Sometimes $4 and $5 a yard fits the pocketbook better for some of our projects. I support my local quilt shop, but I am also thrilled that WalMart is carrying fabric again, and for some of my projects, I will be purchasing fabric from them.
    Old 11-12-2011, 08:36 PM

I am happy that the 3 stores around me have a lot of good fabrics and I made a quilt out of one of the precuts and Jellyroll and was surprised how good it washed and dried.I will not buy the 1.50 fabric so they are flimsy and granny designs , no offense I am a granny too.
    Old 11-12-2011, 08:59 PM

it's only in some stores and even then some that have it back still have really small selection...still waiting...