Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • NOW WHAT ???????????? >
  • NOW WHAT ????????????

• NOW WHAT ????????????

Old 07-03-2011, 08:49 AM

Oh my I would be so agrivated, and then sick!

I just paid a small fortune (well to me) for a bunch of batiks to make a particular quilt, The design is set on a cream background. I am really worried to start on this if the batiks are going to do this even after washing .
    Old 07-03-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    Originally Posted by talkn58
    ISo what do I do now??
    1) Find an replace all that blue with a new square.
    2) Do I soak everything in Retayne bath now partially completed?
    3) Do I sew it all together and then use the Retayne before it is quilted.
    You do *NOT* want to use Retayne at this point. Retayne would permanently set any blue bleeds into the other fabrics.

Looking at how severely that blue bled after just misting with water, I would replace all of those particular fabric squares with another fabric.

Once the quilt is done, you can use Synthrapol in lots of water to suspend any unset dye particles so they don't settle on other fabrics. Synthrapol is a great insurance policy when you first wash a new quilt; however, it isn't designed to catch a really bad bleeder like the blue you have.

If you have more of that bleeding blue fabric, you might want to wash it in Retayne and then test it to see if it has stopped bleeding. Some fabrics need two run-throughs with Retayne. Anything that still bleeds after that should not be used in a quilt.
    From what I've been told though; retayne only sets it until the next time it's washed; if this is so you'd have to give the recipient a bottle to wash her quilt in. I'm not sure if this is fact or not but I read here somewhere on this board.
    Old 07-03-2011, 12:39 PM

I think I would just sit there and cry. I just finished a baby quilt with batiks and an off white background. I tested all the fabrics (small corner) but I really worried before the first wash. I used color catchers and no running. The color catchers came out kinda gray. I think I will give a box of color catchers with the quilt with instructions for washing.
    Sue
    Old 07-03-2011, 01:14 PM

this happened to a friend of my from quilt guild and she came running over to my house because i do so much hand dyeing.

i ended up basting color catchers over the offending areas along with using synthrapol in the wash.

all the bleeding dye had then been removed.

from there we did a retayne soak of the project.

then another wash with color catchers just put into the wash (not basted on) to confirm that nothing was bleeding any longer.

it came out great.

she was so thrilled and grateful that the next day i received a huge floral arrangement.
    Old 07-03-2011, 01:24 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by connie_1936
    one reason i don't like batiks.
    I don't get it...I LOVE batiks, have used them for years..and NEVER had had one bleed....much less continue to bleed after I washed it..and even though TRUE batiks are washed a dozen times before it is put on the bolt, I do still wash them when I get them home for other reasons...

Are these batiks from Hancocks, Joanns, walmart???
    What brand name batiks are you all using that bleed???

OH wait..the red I got from Connecting threads did bleed..but not after it washed in hot water!
    Old 07-03-2011, 02:27 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by romanojg
    From what I've been told though; retayne only sets it until the next time it's washed; if this is so you'd have to give the recipient a bottle to wash her quilt in. I'm not sure if this is fact or not but I read here somewhere on this board.
    Not sure where you got that information about Retayne. It is a permanent dye fixative. See the following websites:
    http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1981-AA.shtml
    http://www.prochemical.com/directions/Retayne.htm