Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • now what >
  • now what

• now what

Old 01-29-2014, 05:36 PM

Unhappy now what

I feel so discouraged and in way over my head. I found a darling pattern for a lap quilt with flying geese, hst and 4 patches. With everything matched up right, the back round white makes a pathway through and around the block. well, I have pieced and sandwiched it and guess what, my blocks are not matching up correctly to get a smooth symmetrical back round. I have a room full of pre cuts, kits and yardage spilling into another room and I feel like a "want-to-be" novice. I don't think I will ever be very good. I've been doing this for several years now and I just don't seem to be getting any better, Feel like giving it all away or selling everything so I would at least have $ to show for all the quilting stuff I have. I'm having a "not so private" pity party.

Anyway, I got that off my chest, anyone ever feel the same way?
    Old 01-29-2014, 05:40 PM
    Power Poster

I have yet to make a "perfect" quilt. I just like working with fabric and have learned to enjoy the process. If you are not satisfied with where you are in your quilting journey then perhaps take some classes?
    Old 01-29-2014, 05:47 PM

Yes, more often than I'd like to admit. Do you have a friend that you could "buddy up" with? Sometimes, someone can see something that we can't because we are too close to it. It sounds like your seams aren't true 1/4 inch. I speak from experience on this, this 1/4 inch thing is the bane of my existence. Check that you actually have a 1/4 inch seam allowance, that your blocks are pressed well (I've started using spray starch). Another thing that can cause problems is if you constantly use the same place to cut on your cutting mat. It will make a groove and your cuts will be off.

That being said, that's what we're here for. If possible, post a couple of pictures of the offending blocks. The people here are so knowledgeable that I'm sure someone can tell you what's wrong and how to fix it. Hang in there. When it all comes together the way you want it to, you can do a "not so private" happy dance!

Michelle
    Old 01-29-2014, 05:47 PM
    Power Poster

I think we have all felt that way. Just when you think you have everything figured out, life gives you a new lesson to learn. And I'm not just talking about quilting. Hang in there and you'll work it out.
    Old 01-29-2014, 05:50 PM
    Power Poster

Oh dear! I am so sorry you are having a bad day. I understand completely. I have those days myself. I agree with tartan, there are many wonderful classes that are available and that you learn so many little things to help with these kind of problems. I hope you understand, I am not saying you are a beginner quilter. I am saying those classes teach some great tricks for having things come out right.
    Old 01-29-2014, 05:51 PM

Yes I have felt like this every other week. Keep on going and don't give up! You will get better and better. Do some small things that don't take so long and you can have some satisfaction. One time i made 62 pot holders and everyone liked them. I gave a lot of them as a quick gift or hostess gift. Don't feel like this anymore, comon now. Please cheer up cause we need you here.
    Old 01-29-2014, 05:55 PM

this week i took my machine, a pile of fabric from a frustrated project and paid for an hour long lesson at my lqs. it was worth every single penny of the whole $10 she charged me.

maybe taking something very specific project like you are working on and going through the steps would help you too. i asked her to sit with me for every step; the seam, the cutting, the piecing, the pressing. i got some great little insight into the things that are cumulatively to blame for my less than accurate piecing.

might be worth it

aileen
    Old 01-29-2014, 06:21 PM

Can you show us a pic so maybe someone who is familiar with HST, and flying geese can offer up advice on what their techniques are
    Old 01-29-2014, 08:05 PM

Precision........that has helped me become a better quilter......I sew, press, trim almost to an obsession. My points match, and I don't get frustrated by corners that don't meet. It means a lot more time, but if makes me happier with my project.
    Old 01-29-2014, 08:24 PM
    Power Poster

Hang in there and do not give up! I would love to see it we are are own worst judge and I best it is beautiful!!!!