Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • OBW fabric? >
  • OBW fabric?

• OBW fabric?

Old 12-16-2010, 05:23 AM
    Banned

Which OBW design are you going to make. Is it the 4 patch or the 6 patch. You need whichever number of repeats in your design. The repeat may be from 16" to 22" As suggested need to add a bit more to make sure you get sufficient repeats.
    Old 12-16-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
    Which OBW design are you going to make. Is it the 4 patch or the 6 patch. You need whichever number of repeats in your design. The repeat may be from 16" to 22" As suggested need to add a bit more to make sure you get sufficient repeats.
    There's a 4-patch obw? lol I was planning to do 6. I'm kind of winging it, because I don't have the book. I'm working from the tutorials posted here by (I think) cutebun (or something like that).
    Old 12-16-2010, 06:06 AM
    Banned

then you will need 6 repeats of the fabric - yardage is whatever the 6 repeats will be. Because of the scale of the print it might be as much as 22" repeat.
    Old 12-16-2010, 06:10 AM

Is 22" about the biggest a repeat would go? If so, the 6 yards I was planning will be more than sufficient, and will give me plenty of extra to play with borders and such, yes?
    Old 12-16-2010, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by deema
    Originally Posted by Holice
    There's a 4-patch obw? lol I was planning to do 6. I'm kind of winging it, because I don't have the book. I'm working from the tutorials posted here by (I think) cutebun (or something like that).
    Hi. I like your fabric choice. This link is a really good tutorial on the disappearing 4 patch. I think these patterns are magic. Good luck on yours.
    http://sewwonderful.blogspot.com/201...o-9-patch.html
    Old 12-16-2010, 06:30 AM

I got some of this fabric at Walmart. It is beautiful and it's good quality. The colors are actually better than the picture shows. The repeat is 18".
    Old 12-16-2010, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by kwilter11
    I got some of this fabric at Walmart. It is beautiful and it's good quality. The colors are actually better than the picture shows. The repeat is 18".
    Awesome! Thank you!
    Old 12-16-2010, 07:32 AM
    Power Poster

6 repeats is not just 6 repeats... :wink:
    Not only does it depend on how far apart the repeats are, but how big do you want the quilt to be?
    I can get 6 repeats out of 1-2 yards of fabric, but remember you are cutting "lots" of small pieces, and there are "lots of seams" so this yardage can shrink very fast :D:D:D
    Old 12-16-2010, 07:41 AM

Well, I went ahead and ordered 6 yards. I know I'll lose a lot in seams...I don't even have a plan for how big I want this quilt to be! LOL I just want to use the technique! I'm hoping 6 yards will give me at least a nice lap size, I'll be adding an extra border or two as well. Based on the reply from the woman above who has this fabric, my repeat will be 18", which means I need 3yards to get 6 repeats...Hopefully I'm safe!
    Old 12-16-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by deema
    Is 22" about the biggest a repeat would go? If so, the 6 yards I was planning will be more than sufficient, and will give me plenty of extra to play with borders and such, yes?
    I've made three that had a 24" repeat - I wouldn't think this is more than that - it's a lovely fabric and will work well.
    I always buy at least an extra half yard, so for example on a 24" repeat I would order 4 and a half yards.
    Ask the retailer for the horizontal (selvedge edge) pattern repeat measurement, it may be less and you will not need as much! For instance, if it was only 16", you would probably only want 3 and a quarter yards.