Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • OBW repeat? >
  • OBW repeat?

• OBW repeat?

Old 06-14-2014, 12:05 PM

Of the fabrics you have listed, my top pick would be the last one (Keepsake Calico Fabric- Floral Vine) - to my eye, the dark background makes the rest of the designs really pop.

I agree with LindaM-the last one really caught my eye.
    Old 06-14-2014, 04:32 PM

Quiltingnd, those blocks are amazing! Great variety. :-)
    Old 06-15-2014, 11:39 AM

I've made a lot of OBW's and have learned some things along the way. You can have a fabric with lots of colors and it still works great. I would not use a fabric that has lots of a solid background color, like your horses and Floral Vine fabrics. Also the straight lines in the Mt. Lodge would be problematic. The fancy leaf design looks a bit small, but if you cut your strips narrower, than what is suggested in the OBW books, it might work. I say pick a fabric that has colors you like, the print doesn't really matter since it will be so cut up, you can't see the original print. A background print should be swirling lines, to help give movement for your blocks in the end. As to how much to buy, that depends on the size quilt you want to make. I always buy extra to use for a border or for the back. You won't want to have to piece your fabric to have enough length for a border. I usually use some of the original fabric on the front of the quilt, just for comparison with the pieced hex's or octagons. Hexagons need 6 repeats minimum and octagons need 8 repeats. If your printed repeat is 6 - 8" long, you should buy double that or you won't have enough to make a quilt with. CuteBuns has a great tutorial on here that goes all through the process of making a OBW. Purchasing a hinged mirror is very helpful to bring with you to the store to place along the width of the bolt to see if you'd have successful triangles. It's also helpful when you are deciding which corner of the triangle will be in the center. I still think, at least for me, that making a OBW is the fastest way to make a quilt. Seven seams make a whole block!