Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Off Squared quilt... :( >
  • Off Squared quilt... :(

• Off Squared quilt... :(

Old 05-27-2013, 09:26 AM

remove the bottom row thats not equal to the top, make another row to match the top last row. that's the only thing I have to suggest.
    Old 05-27-2013, 09:47 AM

3 inches is a BIG difference and will most likely quite noticeable and difficult to fix without ripping....you definitely want to get fixed before quilting as ripples are a nightmare to quilt, LA or fmq.....I would take off the borders, then measure top to bottom in several places, specially in the middle....then do the same side to side.....this will give you an idea if the problem is in the pieced top or the borders.....also measure the individual blocks to make sure all are the same.....as posted before, cut borders to length specified in pattern......I like the pieced borders, but make sure you are keeping the little blocks all the same size after piecing together....bias edges can be a pain to work with, but starch will help.....good luck with the fix, the quilt is very pretty and worth the effort!
    Old 05-27-2013, 01:43 PM

I have no suggestions for you. But wanted to tell you that my mom's middle name was Leota and my daughter who is due at the end of Nov. is thinking seriously about naming her baby Leota if it is a girl.
    Old 05-27-2013, 01:54 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Leota
    I did not measure the center before adding the borders thus making sure the sided were equal before adding the borders...
    If the top was laying flat BEFORE you added the borders then that could be the culprit. I ALWAYS measure across the center and use that measurement for the borders and I have NEVER had a wavy top. If it is a large quilt and you are in doubt, you can measure across each end and across the middle then take the average of those three measurements. I guess mine were never far enough off to do that. It is very pretty and I think you'll figure it out.
    Old 05-27-2013, 01:55 PM

I'd take the borders off and measure the top in three places...this to be sure the quilt is not the issue. Then check the triangles used for the borders...it's impossible that all the triangles are straight of grain...a diagonal cut makes at least one side of that triangle on the bias. I also see on the last triangle of the bottom block, that it is not a true diagonal, or else your seam allowance is not a true 1/4" throughout.

It's a very pretty top, and worth fixing the borders.

When I put on borders (especially pieced borders), I measure the quilt in 6 areas... upper top from left to right, middle from left to right, bottom from left to right. Now take those three measurments and add them together, divide the total by 3...this is the side length of border needed. You will cut your side borders that length and pin to the side of the quilt at the top edge, bottom edge and in the center and ease in any fullness as to stitch the side borders onto the quilt.....repeat but from the upper left down to the bottom, middle top down to bottom, upper right down to the bottom. Also add the 3 measurements together and divide by three...this will be the width of the top and bottom border. Pin at each edge and in the middle and stitch the borders on easing in any fullness.

If you have problems with borders, you may want to pin first & ease in the fullness before you stitch the borders on.

When doing a pieced border, always press as you go. And if you have to remove stitches..spritz with water or spray starch and steam press the pieces before you resew them.

If you have to sew 10 half square triangle pieces, then sew them together, and you are 1/8" off on half of the seams...you are going to be several inches off when done...all seams need to be exactly the size of seam allowance the pattern calls for.

And I hope I'm not seeming to critical...I love your quilt, you did a nice job...which is why I really think you need to redo those borders...this will one day be an hierloom for your grandchildren. We have all (well 99% of us) had the same issues working with half square triangles...I sure have, which is why I can honestly say I've been there and done that...it's also why I have a half dozen seam rippers around my sewing area...and I've been quilting for over 40 years! My seam ripper is my most used tool.

Originally Posted by Leota
    I'm making this for my dd. I added the first solid border and everything looked great. When I started adding the 2nd border, I had to adjust the number of blocks from what the pattern called for because I reduced the size of the center down from 20 blocks to 12... not a problem... when I started on the bottom 2nd border is when I learned that the bottom is a good 3 inches WIDER than the top!!! Here are pictures so you can see my dilemma.
    I did starch some of my pieces but no ALL of them...
    Ideas/suggestions for fixing this?
    Old 05-28-2013, 10:40 PM

As someone who has experience in making mistakes...I would suggest going through each block, and measuring it. You can try it on top of the quilt, and see if every thing is equal. If they seem to be equal, turn over your quilt and look at the seams, are they all 1/4 inch? If you find by measuring each of the 'larger blocks' that some are off, reverse stitch and fix. I would guess it may be your 1/4" seams. That's what it would be for me!
    Old 05-28-2013, 10:42 PM

You probably know this, but you will get a truer quilt when you cut your strips on the length of grain. The WOF (width of fabric) stretches a good bit, this also could be your problem.
    Old 05-29-2013, 06:56 AM

The quilt is beautiful! I can't even tell if something is off square.. but believe me I do understand how hard the "artist" can be on oneself. You probably see things that I would never even notice
    Old 06-15-2013, 08:31 PM

Update on the Winter Lace (or my case Winter Storm)....
    SEVERAL units in the body of the quilt are off mega bad... thus literally disassembling the entire quilt.... keeping the perfect pieces and using the usable bad pieces to make good smaller pieces (thus not losing all that "perfectly good fabric") and then cutting new larger pieces that are perfect. Also, I will be cutting each piece with my quilting ruler at 1/4" seam allowance so that it is accurate (not using the edge of the paper pattern as my guide - error #1) Then I will make sure my stitching is exactly 1/4" (error #2) which SHOULD mean that my points match. Then when I complete a unit, I will measure with my 6.5" quilter's ruler to make sure that the unit is square (error #3) After construction of 9 units, I will measure to make sure that the 18.25" x 18.25" block is square (error #4) When I have joined three blocks together, I will take the measurement across the top and again across the bottom... they should be equal (error #5)... If I do all of this with every step, this quilt should be quilt contest ,blue ribbon, best of show worthy! No I'm not entering it in a competition... just going to be as accurate as I can be so that I can say I did my best.
    Oh and dd said she'd like it by Christmas (she didn't say WHICH Christmas - ha ha)

Last edited by Leota; 06-15-2013 at 08:34 PM.