Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • OH MY OH MY WALMART!!!!! >
  • OH MY OH MY WALMART!!!!!

• OH MY OH MY WALMART!!!!!

Old 06-16-2011, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by dbright
    The downside is that I live in a small town and about 2 hours away from a quilt store. When Walmart closed out fabric a quilt store opened up. We are having a wonderful time for miles around going to our local quilt shop. Walmart will kill this shop. It killed the ones when they had fabric. They will not carry all the needs of a quilter. They will not have classes. Sorry I am not excited for my small town.
    Same thing happened where I live. All 5 LQS closed in 2009, so no classes. I hope the one LQS that just got started back up 8 months ago will not be leaving us; it is a new owner who went out on a limb.
    Old 06-16-2011, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by cedarvalleyquilts
    Ours isn't getting theirs back, according to the store manager. It was never anything to brag about, but at least you could find some flannel and other home decorating fabrics...and sewing thread. Their decision to pull out the fabrics was one of the reasons I opened a shop....our local WM (not even a superstore) never had the local customers in mind with a lot of the decisions they've made. Christine
    No, they didn't care what we wanted to buy, I agree; as I was one who spoke with both of my store managers, wrote letters, made the phone calls. They didn't listen, until it hit the bottom line; when people stopped coming to get anything. I just didn't feel like going there, since they took out most of the notions, couldn't even get more than a couple of basics like scissors, & velcro. Not all stores are equal either, my mothers store in MI always was terrible, never carried any of the clothing I could buy at my store (better quality), or half the variety. Though I think now they are pretty equal after the big renovation.

I checked out your website, I LOVE your natural fabrics like the bark...will be checking back later to see what else you have.
    Best wishes with your shop.
    Old 06-16-2011, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lorae Radunz
    I'm so glad! I hope our store is one to get fabric. You should ask the niece if there is a list with what stores will be getting fabric or another source to find this out.
    we should all EMAIL corporate & ask for a list of stores w/a full fabric dept. & a list of "coming soon"--that should help them understand how much we follow good news!
    Old 06-16-2011, 03:48 AM

Someone post the email addy and I'll get right on it.
    Old 06-16-2011, 03:50 AM

Maybe if we made the manager here a quilt, would that send the right message? We could call the pattern Bring Back The Fabric. I'll ask my group today. No nuttier than some of the other ideas. Like staking him out over an anthill.
    Old 06-16-2011, 03:56 AM

PLEASE, PLEASE send some of that good news to us!!!! My Walmart hasn't even begun to stock precut fabrics and it's been 3 years since they closed the fabric department!! They increased the scrapbooking department but I can't see scrapbooking as a craft.
    Old 06-16-2011, 03:58 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by redmadder
    Maybe if we made the manager here a quilt, would that send the right message? We could call the pattern Bring Back The Fabric. I'll ask my group today. No nuttier than some of the other ideas. Like staking him out over an anthill.
    In some cases, the store manager had tried his/her best to keep the fabric department in the store.
    Old 06-16-2011, 04:46 AM

Good idea! Let's all start emailing.
    Old 06-16-2011, 05:53 AM

I am am the side of the LQS. When I want a class or a quick "I need help" I will not get that at Walmart. There are many supplies they will not have. Will they fix my machine or let me just come in a visit? Walmart killed the LQS and they have just now got back and thriving. Please do not forget them.
    Old 06-17-2011, 03:24 AM
    Power Poster

We had a remodel in February of 2009 and are having another one for fabric addition (and a few other changes) in July/August of this year.

Originally Posted by charlaraye
    If they are bring fabric departments back into Super Wal-Marts, do not expect to be right away. It will not be added back into the store until time for their next remodel which is usually every five years.

Charla