Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Oh no - binding! >
  • Oh no - binding!

• Oh no - binding!

Old 03-31-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
    I highly suggest you look at Sharon Schamber's method of binding. She uses Elmer's School glue instead of pins. It works great - I've used this method. She has several different videos showing her method. You can also see it at her website.
    I have Elmer's Glue on my shopping list and can hardly wait to try this method. Fortunately??? I have several quilts ready for binding.
    Old 03-31-2011, 12:30 PM

thanks for all the great links
    Old 03-31-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
    I'm in danger of finishing a quilt - this hasn't happened for a long time :) But I see my least favourite task rapidly approaching: the binding. I usually do double binding, stitched to the right side and finished on the back.
    Two problems that always stress me:first, how wide a strip to cut? This quilt is 60in square. Then, worst moment of all, finishing it off. I see those two ends getting closer and closer to each other and the panic rises. I always end up bodging them together, having got in a terrible tangle over which sides go together, 45 degree angles etc etc. Can anyone describe to me how to do it, or recommend a good and vey clear tutorial?
    I love doing binding it is relaxing for me. The very BEST thing I ever bought for quilting is "The Binding Gizmo" and they turn out perfect every time. You can see this at :

http://www.quiltingdelights.com/cgi-...=binding_gizmo

You won't be sorry if you get it. It even helps out on the width of binding depending on the project. Hope this helpful.
    Old 03-31-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
    Does anyone have this binding tool??? Is it worth it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAGrGz6ukn0
    I bought this tool. I needed to review the video to use it. I went to the Missouri Star Quilt Company web site, www.missouriquiltco.com and found an updated video. You have to cut one end differently than shown in the above video. As I remember (please check their video), one end is cut as shown in the above video. The second end you mark the line according to the tool, but you slide the end of the binding to that mark line and cut your point. Otherwise the binding will be too long. I loved it until I started watching all the videos here. Lots of choices. Thank you all for sharing. Pat
    Old 03-31-2011, 05:39 PM

Go to Leah Day's site and watch her videos. They are amazing and how she shows to do it works really well. I just did one yesterday and I'm still smiling so you know for sure that she makes it easy!
    Old 03-31-2011, 06:16 PM

I'm in danger of finishing a quilt - this hasn't happened for a long time :) But I see my least favourite task rapidly approaching: the binding. I usually do double binding, stitched to the right side and finished on the back.
    Two problems that always stress me:first, how wide a strip to cut? This quilt is 60in square. Then, worst moment of all, finishing it off. I see those two ends getting closer and closer to each other and the panic rises. I always end up bodging them together, having got in a terrible tangle over which sides go together, 45 degree angles etc etc. Can anyone describe to me how to do it, or recommend a good and vey clear tutorial?
    Go to Missouri Star Quilt Company site, buy their binding tool and learn to use it. There is a great tutorial on its use. froggyintexas
    Old 03-31-2011, 06:52 PM

I have the tool and really is neat. I enjoy the binding part of a quilt. I sew to the right side and wrap around and hand stitch on the back. That part is relaxing to me. I'm really not crazy, I sjst enjoy hand stitching.
    Old 03-31-2011, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Connie in CO
    I want to try that binding tool.Connie in CO
    Binding is still hard for me too. I also watch some You Tube videos each time before starting!

Connie~ I have that same exact pincushion that's shown in your avatar!
    Old 03-31-2011, 08:16 PM

There a several videos on You Tube on binding and Sharon Schambers has a great tutorial on her network and step by step on the binding and closing. I have used hers on the last two quilts and really like how she does it. You might want to check these out. Good Luck. I really hate to do the binding on a quilt, or anything else as far as that goes, because I dislike hand work so much. At this time I am doing just that, hand work, but not on a quilt. I am making myself a new suit for Easter and am hemming the jacket and I keep putting it down to do something else. Does that tell you how much I loathe hand work? lol
    Old 04-01-2011, 03:23 AM

I love the Missouri quilt binding tool!!! I'm new to quilting, and took a class on this tool. It makes finishing a binding so precise and easy. Also, I keep the tutorial loaded, and play it step by step (it's only a few minutes) as I go along as a reference! You will love it!