Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Oiling my machine >
  • Oiling my machine

• Oiling my machine

Old 02-13-2018, 08:13 PM
    Power Poster

The two straight stitch only machines I use almost daily i oil as per the manuals.
    Old 02-13-2018, 09:01 PM

All machines need oil -- they're machines. You should be comfortable with removing your needle plate and cleaning under it. I'm assuming you have a drop-in bobbin. You can put a drop of oil in the center hole under your bobbin case, and oil the feed dogs that are usually at the front of the feed dog area. This area doesn't really need to be oiled very often -- maybe every 6 to 9 months.

These newer machines are hard to get the covers off, so it's a good idea to take it to the shop for deep cleaning. A lot of the new machines don't have service panels or doors to get inside easily. I tell my customers that if they sew every day, they need to bring the machine in at least once a year. But don't go longer than 4 or 5 years without a service.
    Old 02-13-2018, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine
    All machines need oil -- they're machines.
    I really have to disagree with this post. Yes, all machines need oil, but what nobody has explained yet is that some machines are "self-oiling" and are sealed with the oil already inside, so you can't even get to the parts that need oil. If your manual does not instruct you to oil, or specifically says "do not oil", then don't. You could be doing more harm than help to your machine.
    Old 02-13-2018, 11:15 PM

Thanks everyone. It is the brother fs100wt. The manual says not to oil so I won't. It just got me wondering as it is mentioned on here a bit and the instructions for a class I am doing in a few weeks says 'make sure your machine is oiled and you have a new needle'. It makes sense that this is only for vintage machines.

I have absolutely no idea where my nearest dealer is or even what one would look like in the UK but I will investigate!
    Old 02-14-2018, 06:10 AM
    Power Poster

Keep the bobbin area clean and put a drop of oil in the bobbin race once in a while. Many machines have embedded silicone in the gears so self lubricating. Metal gears are not self lubricating. The housing on newer machines cannot be taken off without damage unless you know the correct way. I sit and watched a tech work on different machines (long story) and he oiled every one once inside from new models to older ones. One he drenched in oil and put in pan to drain, others he added drops.
    Old 02-14-2018, 09:07 AM

I have a Babylock Espire. The manual says not to oil. But I took a maintenance class and the technician said to oil the bobbin race periodically - one drop of oil. The modern machines are built so closed in you have to take for service as you can't reach all the places you would have normally cleaned on an older machine. Very irritating. I vacuum as much as I can reach(taking off the feed dog plate, etc) and take in for service every two years or so. I haven't been sewing all that much in recent years so if I start to sew more I may take it in more often.
    Old 02-14-2018, 12:00 PM

I am surprised at the comment above not to oil a BERNINA machine. The bobbin race area needs to have a drop of oil every once in a while-when it has a good cleaning. I do this after about five bobbin loads. My B530 even has a video or how to do it on the computer screen under maintenance. I had to replace a part in the bobbin race area because of abrasion because I had not oiled it- this was on an 1130. I learned my lesson. I think the information in all of these manuals mentioned means not to randomly oil all the rest of the machine. Read manuals carefully and follow all maintenance suggestions.
    Old 02-14-2018, 03:29 PM

I never oiled my babylock espire when I had it, not even the bobbin
    Old 02-15-2018, 05:09 AM

I only use vintage machines and only oil them when needed. I took my Viking 6430 and 301A into the shop last year. They were both cleaned inside and out. I just bought a Viking 6460 on eBay and it will go in for a cleaning in a couple of months because it only sews in reverse (common problem when it hasn't been used for an extended time period). I used my 301A for the first time since I had it cleaned (it stays in my van just in case I need it, or someone in my sewing group is having a problem with their machine. It has never failed to deliver.)
    Old 02-15-2018, 05:28 AM
    Power Poster

I have some basic Brothers with the hard plastic - but the part on the left side is attached with one screw and I take that off periodically and use a qtip to take out any fuzz - usually not much and I put a drop of oil on the needle bar and the moving parts that I can see. Also a drop in the bobbin case which is drop in - but very minimal. I don't see how this will hurt anything and so far the machines are still working fine. I wouldn't take a machine that cost $100 in for service when things are doing just fine so far. One of the machines is about 15 years old.