Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Ok...silly question, but...... >
  • Ok...silly question, but......

• Ok...silly question, but......

Old 06-24-2010, 06:30 AM

You might also call some local churches to see if they have any quilting/craft groups. I just started 1 at my church and last Tuesday night we had 7 of us, 2 for the 1st time (1 sewing for the first time and making a dress and needing help and 1 old-time sewer), 3 of us were quilters and 2 were others that are new to quilting/sewing. Wish you lived near me! We meet twice a month-once for quilting for church and once for sewing our own projects.
    Old 06-24-2010, 06:44 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by granniebj
    I want to meet other quilters in my area! The town I live near has over 20,000 people and I have yet to meet anyone who quilts! I've hung out at the quilts entered into the county fair, but the only comments I heard around me were, "I wish I could do that!" We don't have a store that sells fabric. There was a really small quilt show last year at our Applefest, but I was out of town! I know they're out there! I've googled quilt groups and gilds, but was never able to find any that were closer then say 30 miles. Should I take out an ad in the local paper "lonely quilter wants a quilt friend?" lol...I know I know....this group is almost the same thing! Love it in here!
    The group that I'm in was started that way - the person put an Ad in the local paper -
    Old 06-24-2010, 06:44 AM

Hey, bj There is always the library. See if they have a small rm for you to use.[no cost] and then make sign up ,post it in the library with time and date, see what happens. On your sign,New quilting Grp forming. New and experienced quilter's welcome. Good Luck, sweetie, Theresa
    Old 06-24-2010, 06:50 AM

I hope you find a way, everyone has great ideas to try. It's always fun to quilt or do other crafts with someone.Good Luck
    Old 06-24-2010, 06:54 AM

Here's a different approach. Arrange for a community room at the library or a bank or a church. Contact the newspaper (and maybe some church newsletters) and put in a press release (free) to get a group together to make charity quilts for _________ cause. You will probably get responses and can set up other fun groups from there.
    Old 06-24-2010, 06:55 AM

Guess it wasnt so different since others posted right before me....great minds think alike!
    Old 06-24-2010, 06:56 AM
    Power Poster

There is usually one place that has a room for community use for free, check with the local library first, they usually have a nice room. Banks have them too. Put up notices that a new quilting class/group is meeting and to come and bring any quilting projects finished or unfinished to show. Beginners welcome. My friend and I did that and we had 60 people show up! I met quilters who lived in my neighborhood I didn't know.
    Old 06-24-2010, 11:58 AM
    Google Goddess

do you have a library in town, see if you can start up a craft group there (for all types of crafts including quilting)

Maybe have a sew day to make quilts for kids the Downy program
    Old 06-24-2010, 12:03 PM

I will have to check into the library idea! I shied away from groups before because they did so many things that required me to have money for dues or projects. I would love to contribute, but with no income (or very little disabilites-hubby) it leaves me with a problem. I just wanted a few friends who quilt to share things with. I babysit every evening and sometimes even on Sat. which makes it hard to attend anything. Thank you for all your ideas!
    Old 06-24-2010, 12:12 PM

Where are you in Ohio? I am outside of Columbus, in Madison County. We have a group that meets every Monday in the basement of a church. Also, you can come and sew even if you don't belong to the guild. Our group got started over twenty years ago through a newspaper ad.