Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • OK, so my long arm has to pay for itself-why doesn't his boat? >
  • OK, so my long arm has to pay for itself-why doesn't his boat?

• OK, so my long arm has to pay for itself-why doesn't his boat?

Old 09-01-2011, 11:33 AM

I never thought of it like that but you are soooo right !
    Thanks for the eye opener.
    Old 09-01-2011, 11:39 AM

So True!!!
    Old 09-01-2011, 11:41 AM

That is so true! Gotta love it to do it!!
    Old 09-01-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Tell him he needs to give people paid boat rides while you're quilting for hire LOL
    Good one Sue!
    Old 09-01-2011, 12:42 PM

Thank you all so much for your input and humor. I thought this would be a good thread. No matter how great our DH is, most of us have these feelings sometimes. It was great to have some laughs and the encouragement didn't hurt. Selena
    Old 09-01-2011, 01:33 PM

Oh my dear girl! You just have to know how to go about it. Here is an example and you can adapt this so many ways, just let your mind get creative.
    I signed up for Road to California classes and a 3 night stay in a hotel with friends in January 2012. My hubby said "that is an awfully lot of money!" So I told him that if the "General fund" would pay for the classes I would save and cover the rest. OK - here is how I did it! I went thru my quilt book library and my patterns and decided which I was tired of. Then I put them in a box and showed them to my friendship groups and to my guild and told them my story and sold books for $5 each and patterns a little more, depending. Well, let me tell you that was great! Then a friend put the books up for sale on the internet and that is more $$!
    Then decided I should be paid for other things like not getting my nails done or a pedicure. So, each time I skipped a session, I put the $ in my stash! Well, ladies, along with a little I already had in my stash, my trip in January is paid for. Hope this gives you ideas. There are a lot of "services" you could "charge" your husband for! NO! Not the bedtime stuff!! Other stuff like making his favorite dessert and spending extra time doing other things. Think about it!! Have fun! Remember, guilt is not allowed in a marriage!!!
    Old 09-01-2011, 02:10 PM

After reading all these replies I am really glad to be single. Both of my exes had the same problem with thinking I had to justify any of my hobbies when they didn't, even though I have always worked too. Now I'll buy whatever I darned well please - as long as I can afford it.
    Old 09-01-2011, 02:15 PM

I am probably one of very few people that can say my husband doesn't have any expensive hobbies. He used to hunt but never did it excessively. He likes to play cards and plays a couple times a week but not for more than a quarter a game. So, happy and grateful as I am, I feel guilt sometimes about the amounts (which aren't huge) I spend on my hobby. So to all of you while I don't "feel your pain", I can hope that you all reach some happy compromises!

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    I got my long arm by looking at the corvette in the garage. We can't drive it often because: it's raining. It's going to rain. it might rain. it rained last week etc.
    I told him that even if I quilted 5 quilts a year it would get used more that that car, and I wouldn't be paying for collision insurance to boot!
    Awesome!!!
    Ed

I don’t have a boat, I don’t fish, and I’m not into spots. And I don’t hunt. So those toys I don’t have. But I do have a small wood shop. As for those toys, I try and save my change to buy them.