Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • OK....tell me I can do it! >
  • OK....tell me I can do it!

• OK....tell me I can do it!

Old 04-16-2011, 07:13 PM

Thanks everyone for the great words of encouragement! I am halfway done! WooHoo!!!!
    Old 04-16-2011, 09:21 PM
    Power Poster

Glad to hear things are going well. We all want to see what you've accomplished when you're done! Keep up the good work!
    You go girl...the other half will be completed in no time, cause by now I'm sure you've got the hang of it!
    Old 04-17-2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Originally Posted by almostfree
    Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    I have an idea - instead of doing stitch in the ditch, draw a diagonal line and do a wavy design on one side and the other side of the line. You won't have to drop your feed dogs, you can use a regular stitch. I've done it and it comes out great!
    Can I see a picture? It sounds like a good idea.
    Like this. I put the ruler down to show that's where you draw the line, then you just sew a wavy line around the line. I drew lines 3" apart on this and did it in both directions. What's nice about this is that you don't have to be perfect and because you're not dropping the feed dogs, you don't have to worry about your stitches on the backside. You do need to use a walking foot, though.
    Wow that looks great!!!
    Old 04-17-2011, 04:55 PM

Just go for it. You will surprise yourself on how good of a job you did. One thing you can always second guess yourself and think of how it would be better - BUT DON'T.

Ruby the Quilter
    Old 04-17-2011, 04:55 PM

Just go for it. You will surprise yourself on how good of a job you did. One thing you can always second guess yourself and think of how it would be better - BUT DON'T.

Ruby the Quilter
    Old 04-17-2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kim Bohannon
    If the pieces are not really really tiny, you could outline quilt it... about 1/4 " from the seams. that is a very nice way to quilt, and it really shows off your quilt in a nice way.. complements the pattern nicely.
    This is what I do with mine all the time. It sets off the blocks nicely and it is pretty easy to do. Much easier than SITD because you don't have to stay right by that other seam line.

I would recommend that you use a little longer stitch than you use for sewing your blocks together, and that you start in the center and work your way out to the edges. Do the very center block first; then the ones above and below it; then the ones to the left and right of it. Then do the corner blocks around it. Move now to the center above and below again; then the left and right again; the the corners again. Repeat this process until you are finished if it's a square quilt. For a rectangular quilt, once you have finished the sides, just finish out the top and bottom by doing the center, then the left and right. By doing it this way, it keeps the backing from bunching up as you are working from the center to the outside at all times. This is especially important if you are using fleece as a backing as it can stretch and pull if you are not careful.
    Old 04-26-2011, 05:35 AM

I have been horrified by the terrible results any time I have tried meandering, not to mention following an actual pattern like feathers, even big ones. I think the foregoing techniques will work for us nervous Nellys. I'm about to finish up a charity (Head Start) quilt and will try the ruler and wavey line approach. Not many quilt police among four year olds.
    Old 04-28-2011, 04:53 AM

Am I confused? All the posts here are ABOUT the tips page. Where are the tips? I agree with all these posts; it is a great idea and will prove to be a great service.

Jane
    Old 04-28-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by kit'smamma
    Am I confused? All the posts here are ABOUT the tips page. Where are the tips? I agree with all these posts; it is a great idea and will prove to be a great service.

Jane
    They are the first topic on the MAIN Quilting board
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-116351-1.htm
    Old 04-28-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltSage
    I read an article in Quilter's Home by Linda Hungerford titled "Better Quilting Through Wine". The idea is before you FMQ you have a glass of wine to get relaxed.
    I like this idea.......maybe 2? :lol: