Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Okay - here's my problem >
  • Okay - here's my problem

• Okay - here's my problem

Old 01-11-2011, 04:47 AM

I so agree with your post.I can sew for hrs, or not at all for days or weeks.Sometimes a good book takes precedent, or baking cookies, or just a good movie on TV.Being retired....DH is retired, so guess I am too.....means doing what you want,when you want.....or at least it does to me.

Originally Posted by ktbb
    why change who you are? If quilting requires energy and heavy mind work, reserve the activity for a time when you don't have that in other areas of your life. I enjoy the mind=work, so don't have the same problem you do, but there are definitely times when I can't look at my machine, and at those times I find other things to do that I enjoy...and I don't feel guilty about leaving the machine to rest. Or you could find a part of the quilting process that does help you relax and do only that part when you're tired...saving the rest for a better time.
    Old 01-11-2011, 05:07 AM

Good Morning tuxedokitty,

There is a "SEW DAILY CHALLANGE" on another guild. You sew for at least 15 minutes every day. It helps to get you startedand then an hour has flown-by.

Quilter68 who is headed to 70 this year
    Old 01-11-2011, 05:11 AM

Choose very simple patterns. I work with my brain at full gear every day, so I am in the same boat, when I come home I want to shut down. But that's when I find quilting seems like therapy to me, but those are the days that i do a simple or redundant pattern. Something where i can do the same thing over and over again, with little thought.
    Old 01-11-2011, 05:30 AM

You're not lazy! Just overextended. I had to wait until I retired to have the energy and time to get into quilting:-)
    Old 01-11-2011, 05:43 AM

I LOVE to quilt and sew. I used to have a job that was stressful, I'd just come home and barely make it through dinner, then collapsed on the sofa. Here's my suggestion. Cut some blocks and batting (say 13- 15" sq) then cut some strips (they don't have to be the same width). Then you can sit and do some quilt-as-you-go blocks. Place the middle strip right side up on top of the batting and backing. Then add strips to each side. Pretty soon you'll have lots of blocks without any thinking!
    Old 01-11-2011, 05:49 AM

I think you and I must have been twins seperated at birth! LOL!
    Old 01-11-2011, 06:08 AM

Kathy Patterson, you took the words right out of my mouth!! RETIREMENT!!
    Old 01-11-2011, 06:11 AM

So...not that I'd do this...wink,wink...(I have thought about it, though) but how about getting the fabric flu once in a while and then staying home to recuperate?
    Old 01-11-2011, 06:12 AM

You sound like my long lost twin sister. I have to concentrate on every little step and with a busy schedule sometimes I just need veggie time. Deep breath in cleansing breath out - let's take hands and skip into our sewing rooms with no pressure just for simply enjoyment when we have time. Be blessed bunches
    Old 01-11-2011, 06:21 AM

Hey Kitty,

Being 55 doesn't have anything to do with being tired. As someone else stated at age 45 something went haywire for me---no energy, depression,etc , etc...Discovered at age 45 that I was in menopause! So first off make sure you are well.
    As for stressful work---I was an industrial engineer in the trucking business. On call 24/7 in a business that didn't know the meaning of "detail". Everything was quick, down and dirty---get 'er done! Imagine the difference between that and quilting....
    I have really had to retrain my brain to do detail, clean work; but it wasn't easy. GO SLOW...learn to enjoy your alone time. Put on soothing music or keep your sewing room quiet. It can be an enjoyable release for you after a stressful day at work.

Roxanne