Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Okay - here's my problem >
  • Okay - here's my problem

• Okay - here's my problem

Old 01-11-2011, 12:16 PM

I'm the same age as you and also tired after work. I can't believe at 55 this young. I want to quilt everyday, but it never works for me to do it in the evening. I do a lot on weekends and holidays.

Now this is probably something that would only work for a few, and I wouldn't have thought I would be one of them. Starting this year, I started getting up at 5:00 a.m. to quilt before work. I get in an hour to hour-and-half. I love it; it's quiet and peaceful.

There has never been anything that got me out of bed. In fact I am a snooze button addict, waiting up to 45 minutes before finally getting out of bed.

I just love quilting so much, that it's motivating to get up. I go to bed on some nights at 8:00, but aim for 9:30. My husband leaves for work at 5:15 a.m. and goes to bed around 7:30 and so that actually helps.

In another vein, I think the idea's here about a check up are good ones. I have sleep apnea and used to snore so loud it should have woken the dead. When I finally went to my doctor about this horrible tiredness, I had a sleep test. Now I sleep with my little positive air pressure machine and it helps a lot.

Sleep apnea is a very serious condition. A person with it cannot get into the deeper levels of sleep where true rejuvenation and rest are obtained. They are constantly waking up the moment they drift into deep sleep. Anyway, there's plenty on the internet about it. Without taking care of it, it can reduce your life span because of the strain it puts on your heart.
    Old 01-11-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by tuxedokitty
    I work in a hectic environment (don't we all?) and quilting isn't something that just comes "natural" to me. I have to think and concentrate over each little step on a project so that it comes out right. When I get off from work, or on the weekends, I feel so burned out, I just want to kick back and not think. That's on the one hand. On the other hand, I have made probably 12-15 quilts, several table runners, etc. and have tons of really pretty kits as well as fabric waiting for me. I have a nice machine....so basically NO EXCUSE. Anyone got any advice for this lazy 55 year old???
    What kind of work do you do? Life is just more stressful than it was when our foremothers lived. They were so busy because they did not have all our modern conveniences but I think our high tech world has just made us slaves to our jobs and created so much stress.
    Old 01-11-2011, 12:30 PM

I have the oposite problem......it is to quiet and don't get much done. The din of the house drives me crazy.
    Old 01-11-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by catrancher
    I'm always surprised how distressed some people seem to be bacause they aren't doing enough of something that is supposed to be enjoyable. If you WANT to do it, you WILL do it. And if you DON'T want to do it, then why do it?
    I have to agree with this. I too have a very stressful job and I usually don't have the energy or attention to quilt when I get home at night. Instead of feeling bad, I remind myself that I have a good job at a time when many don't. I end up feeling appreciative instead of guilty. It helps me.
    Old 01-11-2011, 02:57 PM

I was finding myself feeling the same way, just didn't seem to have to same enthusiasm for quilting as I had done in the past and so I threw myself into a couple of swaps and challenges for inspiration and these seem to be working. Now if I could just find the time to actually do these :lol:

Maybe1day
    Old 01-11-2011, 05:04 PM

You sound so much like me! On days when I'm just to worn out to hit the sewing room, I do other things like organize my patterns, look on the Internet for tips, digitize some embroidery, and check out this board. But then again, when I do drag myself in there, I find my energy comes back once my foot hits the pedal. Welcome to the board!
    Old 01-11-2011, 05:10 PM
    Power Poster

When I start a new project, particularly one I have never tried before, I spend some time getting acquainted. Reading the instructions, looking at the colors,......

Then I spend some time visiting my fabric and auditioning until I find the right combination.

Finally, I make a PLAN on paper. Cutting instructions - often with a diagram in crayon. Order of operation, etc. Whatever I need to be successful, I put on that list.

That way, when I start the actual quilting process, all the thinking has been done. All I have to do is pay attention to where I am in the process. It is also nice to check off the steps once completed.
    Old 01-11-2011, 05:18 PM

Have been in the same boat lately and I finally got inspired!! The wonderful quilters here helped me out so much, espicially made me feel that I am not alone out there!! Your inspiration will come also...think a "sew-in" would be a great cure! :P
    Old 01-11-2011, 06:29 PM

My best advice to you is to sit back and enjoy the time that you CAN quilt. Don't push it. I was in the same boat for the last few years. I've been trying to teach myself how to quilt and worked a full time job until last March when I retired. Now I can devote the time I want to learning more. Now I have the time to finish all those quilt tops that are in my sewing room. The one thing quilting has taught me is Patience. Your time will come. Don't quit. Work on simple patterns that aren't so intense.
    Old 01-11-2011, 07:06 PM

I hear you. I have a really hard time getting time to quilt, but it is usually that I don't have something to just pickup. I'm trying to organize one day and sew the next day. (I've even been writing myself notes as to what to do next--pretty pathetic). We'll see if it works. Applique works better than piecing somedays. Good luck!
    Susan