Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Okay - here's my problem >
  • Okay - here's my problem

• Okay - here's my problem

Old 01-09-2011, 11:40 PM

I work in a hectic environment (don't we all?) and quilting isn't something that just comes "natural" to me. I have to think and concentrate over each little step on a project so that it comes out right. When I get off from work, or on the weekends, I feel so burned out, I just want to kick back and not think. That's on the one hand. On the other hand, I have made probably 12-15 quilts, several table runners, etc. and have tons of really pretty kits as well as fabric waiting for me. I have a nice machine....so basically NO EXCUSE. Anyone got any advice for this lazy 55 year old???
    Old 01-09-2011, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by tuxedokitty
    I work in a hectic environment (don't we all?) and quilting isn't something that just comes "natural" to me. I have to think and concentrate over each little step on a project so that it comes out right. When I get off from work, or on the weekends, I feel so burned out, I just want to kick back and not think. That's on the one hand. On the other hand, I have made probably 12-15 quilts, several table runners, etc. and have tons of really pretty kits as well as fabric waiting for me. I have a nice machine....so basically NO EXCUSE. Anyone got any advice for this lazy 55 year old???
    have you been reading my mind?
    Old 01-09-2011, 11:49 PM

OM my sounds like a challenge to me. Quilting is so relaxing to me. Set up a place to sew where you can sit and sew at least an hour a night. Once you get going again you will use it as a relaxation hour. You just need a little nudge. If you are like me I procrastinate and then once I get going, it's great. Wishing you luck in getting started again.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-157082.gif  
    Old 01-09-2011, 11:54 PM
    Jim

Quilting relaxes me...its my CALGON
    Old 01-09-2011, 11:58 PM

Why not do the patterns that require squares...instead of those pesky triangles and difficult patterns? 9P to D9P, 4 to 9P, and Yellow Brick Road to name a few. That's what I do when I get overwhelmed with more difficult patterns. Sometimes I just need to take a break and do something else for a bit...the quilting bug always takes me back to my machine!
    Old 01-09-2011, 11:58 PM

Have you tried hand quilting/piecing? If you don't set a time limit on your project and just let it progress as rapidly or as slowly as your schedule allows and do a really simple design (I did Around the World, starting at the center and working out in rings/stairsteps) it can be very relaxing. It took me a total of about three years to complete the queen sized top, but a number of other projects were completed in between times.
    Old 01-10-2011, 12:27 AM

Have always considered it downtime fun, best if complete :) even if just a simple pattern, gives the feeling of accomplishment, have no clue why we always need to be productive, to the point of exhaustion.
    Take a break, hang out here, count your blessings, you'll rejuice.... :)

Have never considered it a competitive sport, but it can be made into one, No QP, do like it to look right for my eye. :)
    Old 01-10-2011, 03:15 AM
    Power Poster

How about starting a pattern on a weekend and maybe you will look forward to keeeping working on it when you get home from work.
    Old 01-10-2011, 03:45 AM

I agree with all of the above advice. Just pick a short amount of time, even if it is only 10 minutes. Its amazing how just a few minutes will jump start you and make you feel better. Good Luck and hang in there....
    Old 01-10-2011, 04:21 AM

I so understand what your talking about. I work in a very toxic place, not for real but mentally. Some days when I get home, I just can't do anything, except read the board. The other day in GCC, there was a post about thyroid problems and checking your eyebrows, if you lost the hair on the ends, you might have a problem. Well, internet addict I am, I started checking out low thyroid and seems like I have half of those things. Today, I'm calling the Dr. and making an appointment. I shouldn't feel this old for only being 56. You may want to see the doctor for a check-up, if you haven't had one in a while.