Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Old glue on a fat quarter >
  • Old glue on a fat quarter

• Old glue on a fat quarter

Old 10-23-2011, 02:02 PM

WD-40 to the rescue! It will take the old glue out without harming the fabric. Trust me. You will, of course, have to wash it afterwards. I don't know what's in those other products, but WD-40 is nothing but (believe it or not) fish oil. It's marvelously useful and has no harsh chemicals to cause harm. You may need to let it soak a bit to do its job.
    Old 10-23-2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by MacThayer
    I don't know what's in those other products, but WD-40 is nothing but (believe it or not) fish oil.
    This is absolutely false. WD-40's own website states that it is a petroleum product, and as such, probably not a good idea to put it in a dryer.

Of course, having said that, it's probably not a good idea to put anything treated with Goo Gone or Goof-Off in a dryer, either, without washing thoroughly.
    Old 10-23-2011, 04:31 PM

I had some FQ's recently that a sticky residue after the sticker was taken off, and I just washed them and everything came out in the wash.
    Old 10-23-2011, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Originally Posted by MacThayer
    I don't know what's in those other products, but WD-40 is nothing but (believe it or not) fish oil.
    This is absolutely false. WD-40's own website states that it is a petroleum product, and as such, probably not a good idea to put it in a dryer.

Of course, having said that, it's probably not a good idea to put anything treated with Goo Gone or Goof-Off in a dryer, either, without washing thoroughly.
    I did say you would have to wash it thoroughly afterwards, and I said nothing about putting it in a dryer. No one in their right mind would put a treated fabric in a dryer without washing it first. According to the history books, "WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was
    to find a 'water displacement' compound.. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40. The product began as search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you. Some of its suggested uses include:
    WD-40 uses:
    1. Protects silver from tarnishing.
    2. Removes road tar and grime from cars.
    3. Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
    4. Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making them slippery.
    5.. Keeps flies off cows.
    6. Restores and cleans chalkboards.
    7. Removes lipstick stains.
    8.. Loosens stubborn zippers.
    9. Untangles jewelry chains.
    10. Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
    11. Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
    12. Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.
    13. Removes tomato stains from clothing.
    14. Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
    15. Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
    16. Keeps scissors working smoothly...
    17. Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes.
    18. It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor! Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.
    19. Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40!
    20. Gives a children's playground gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
    21. Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers...
    22... Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
    23. Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open..
    24. Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
    25. Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.
    26. Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
    27. Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans
    28. Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.
    29. Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.
    30. Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
    31. Removes splattered grease on stove.
    32. Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
    33. Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
    34. Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
    35. Removes all traces of duct tape..
    36. Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.
    37. Florida 's favorite use is: 'cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers.'
    38. The favorite use in the state of New York , WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.
    39. WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a little on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose.
    40. Use it for fire ant bites.. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.
    41. WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.
    42. Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and rewash. Presto! The lipstick is gone!
    43. If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start.

P.S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL.
    Old 10-23-2011, 04:47 PM

The above was taken from the web site that explains the entire history of WD-40, up to and including present day. It makes no mention of a change in the formulation. I cannot explain why the WD-40 web site says it contain petroleum. Is fish oil now considered a petroleum product? It is an oil. Is petroleum part of the formula? I don't know. I'm not a chemist. All I know is, the stuff works, and I use it on everything.

I'm just stating what I know. I do not wish anyone to take offence. Ignore this at your pleasure.
    Old 10-23-2011, 05:03 PM

Wow, whooda thunk WD - 40 did all that!

I was gonna tell you to use Goo Gone on your sticker problem. That' s what I use. Do not put heat on it as that could set it even more.
    Peanut butter will work as well as an ice cube rubbed over the spot although you must be careful.
    Old 10-23-2011, 05:06 PM

That's why I suggested the peanut butter....not harmful to you or the environment....you'd only need a little on your finger-tip....rub on the sticky area, work it in a little, and then wash with a mild soap/ detergent/ or even a dab of dawn....works wonders, and yes, it WASH'S OUT :)
    Old 10-23-2011, 05:10 PM

I am glad this thread started. I pulled out a Dorothy costume I had made several years ago for my daughter and she had loaned it to one of her friends (without my knowledge) and the friend decided the costume was not slutty enough and GLUED the hem up on it. And of course no one told me about it so now it has glue all over the skirt for over a year. I have washed it twice and it is still there. I am so mad at her. I will try goo gone first and then WD40.
    Old 10-23-2011, 05:18 PM

MacThayer, I didn't mean to rub your fur wrong. My comment about washing thoroughly was directed more at MY earlier comment re using Goo-Gone or Goof-Off, not towards YOUR comment. And I'm not disputing the effectiveness of WD-40, on the contrary, I'm a big fan of it. I'm simply disputing that it's made with fish oil.

I don't know what website you're using to find the history of WD-40, not that it matters. The makers of WD-40 state on THEIR website that the fish oil story is a myth. What I DO know is that the MSDS (Material Data Safety Sheets), which are required by the federal government, state that the active ingredients are as follows:

Aliphatic Hydrocarbon (45%-50% by weight)
    Petroleum Base Oil (<25%)
    LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon (12% - 18%)
    Carbon Dioxide (2% - 3%)
    Surfactant (<2%)
    Non-Hazardous Ingredients (<10%)

FYI, examples of aliphatic compounds are methane, propane, butane, and polyethylene.

Also - that list you quoted that came from the website that explains the entire history of WD-40 looks like an exact copy of a list that is found on several urban myth and hoax-debunking websites, including Snopes.
    Old 10-23-2011, 07:01 PM

Sorry I misunderstood you, and sorry I sounded so miffed. That was not my intention, but re-reading it, it sure came off that way, didn't it. LOL! And I'm supposed to be the easy-going one in this household! Sometimes the dogs have better sense!

I've discovered that in all urban legends and myths, there is usually a grain of truth. It may be that WD-40 was created as they say by those men, in that year, and was the 40th formulation they came up with. Perhaps, along the way, one of their 40 formulations contained fish oil. Obviously not the final one. But learning that bit of history sparked someone's fire, and the "legend" got started. I have used it for a lot of things. One of the best is the shower. Use it on the shower door, and rub it in well, and you'll never have water spots again. You have to clean and re-do every few months, but it works even on plastic doors. I've done it for decades! Go figure! And I've used it for a lot of other stuff that are on that list too. Regardless of what it's made of, it just works.

Oh, and Goo Gone is awesome stuff too. I've used that on stuff WD-40 can't touch. So it's not like I think WD-40 is the only product in the world. And no, I don't put it on my tile floors. I don't want the dogs licking it off their paws, even when I thought it was mostly fish oil. I'll choose what I want them to ingest!

OK, let's call a truce here. I'm so sorry if I "raised your fur" (like that phrase -- I'll use it!). And I promise to look at more than 1 website before I open my mouth again. Agreed?

Warmest Regards,