Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • This Old House makes a mobile kitchen island >
  • This Old House makes a mobile kitchen island

• This Old House makes a mobile kitchen island

Old 04-06-2014, 07:23 AM
    Power Poster

It is great that we are recycling kitchen cabinets. They do work so well in our quilting studios.
    Old 04-07-2014, 01:52 AM

I have some of the cabinets from our kitchen remodel in my sewing room and the long counter is great. Other cabinets made it to the laundry room and the garage for storage. I can barely watch on the home remodeling shows where they take a sledge hammer to kitchen and bathroom cabinets to rip them apart before taking them out. What a waste. I can see that if they had been constructed in place and not merely screwed to the wall but cabinets that were assembled and then installed should not be treated that way.
    Old 04-07-2014, 02:07 AM

Its a TV show. (HGTV). I seriously doubt the"Homeowner" is allowed to really help with demolition. (Insrance liability). Everything is done for drama. I love the before. & after but some of the things the homeowners complain about is silly.

Yes, Kitchens are expensive to remodel. I have gone thru two. First was a 70's ranch with nasty builder cabinets. My current house is an old farmhouse. The old cabinets were broken, the drawer runners were damaged (wood split), multiple coats of paint slapped on, etc. DH removed the cabinets and they have a found new life in his workshop. My "big box" cabinets are just fine. DH did all of the remodel except for the new flooring, the countertop and the plumbing. So happy.
    sandy
    Old 04-07-2014, 02:32 AM

Its a TV show. (HGTV). I seriously doubt the"Homeowner" is allowed to really help with demolition. (Insrance liability). Everything is done for drama. I love the before. & after but some of the things the homeowners complain about is silly.

Sandygir;, you are so right, I get annoyed when I see a couple looking at million dollar homes and say they don't like the color of paint in one of the rooms…….who are they kidding!!!!!!!
    Old 04-07-2014, 01:12 PM

Too many people today, worst being the younger ones are so spoilt it ticks me off to hear them pick houses apart that are fine, even if not to their person taste. So change what you don't like, and some of the must haves are from very spoilt people who have been handed everything.
    Old 04-07-2014, 03:40 PM

I reuse old cabinets too. When I remodeled my first house I found some old cabinets to match what I already had and just added to what was there. I cringe when the sledgehammer comes out too but I'm sure for the TV shows the time spent to remove them whole is worth more than recycling them.
    Rodney
    Old 04-08-2014, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter
    I have some of the cabinets from our kitchen remodel in my sewing room and the long counter is great. Other cabinets made it to the laundry room and the garage for storage. I can barely watch on the home remodeling shows where they take a sledge hammer to kitchen and bathroom cabinets to rip them apart before taking them out. What a waste. I can see that if they had been constructed in place and not merely screwed to the wall but cabinets that were assembled and then installed should not be treated that way.

I pretty well quit watching all the remodel shows becasue they will not repurpose cabinets and fixtures-------all they do is DESTROY! I was not raised that way.
    Old 04-09-2014, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr

Sandygir;, you are so right, I get annoyed when I see a couple looking at million dollar homes and say they don't like the color of paint in one of the rooms…….who are they kidding!!!!!!!

i think a lot of the House Hunters shows are staged and bogus. What man seriously gives a hoot about carpet or paint color. The gals are all snarky princesses! (Granite whine!).

Sandy