Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Old Singer on Craigslist >
  • Old Singer on Craigslist

• Old Singer on Craigslist

Old 07-26-2011, 09:51 AM

I have a blackside (I love the finish on this! That's what makes it so unique to me. Ours is a 1940 #128 (I call her Pretty!) She has a knee bar and no pedal. The cord is for the light. Sews very well. Is louder than "Baby" with the cord so I usually use "Baby" she has the slick finish and is a 57 model 99K. I love this one! ;) She sews like a dream! I haven't used my Brother machines since I got these 2. ;) I hope me posting a picture will help you to see a similar model up close.

Here's the machine that I have: 1940 Model
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]231968[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-231962.jpe  
    Old 07-26-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by LaurieE
    It looks like it needs a good cleaning because the machine should shine. The electric cord looks 'modern'. The old electric machine that I have has a black cord, not a grey one.

You could email the seller and ask more questions or ask the seller to send you close up photos and make a decision from that.

$60 for an antique machine is not that much and I consider it to be a reasonable price. There's an antique Singer at a thrift shop near me that's priced at $125.
    Actually, this machine has the "Godzilla" matte/crinkle finish that was done during WWII and for a while afterward. 1952 had a combination of shiny & matte finishes. Also the attachments for them usually came in "black", not shiny, metal. $60 is probably a reasonable price if the machine is in very good condition with no wiring issues and all mechanicals of the machine working properly. If anything is not working, offer $40. Parts are available at numerous places online, and it's easy to do parts exchanges yourself on these vintage machines. No electronics to deal with!! :-) Screwdriver and a small wrench (maybe) all that is required.