Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • old 'wives tale?' >
  • old 'wives tale?'

• old 'wives tale?'

Old 02-02-2011, 06:19 AM

I know that I would use the same machine for a top from start to finish but it sounds like she was saying you had todo it her way or you were wrong. The seas may be different on machines. As for bobbin thread, I did not even know there was such a thing and I have been sewing for 50 years.
    Old 02-02-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by michelehuston
    This is going to sound like a silly question but since I don't know whether its someething I should listen to or not..Ok, well, when I first started quilting, I took a class and she taught log cabins (still love them by the way), sorry I digress. The two things this instructor said we had to do was always use the same sewing machine for each top and we were to use bobbin thread. Was this just her quirk or is there a logical reason for this?
    It DOES make a difference. Even the 1/4" foot on the same TYPE of machine (i.e. Pfaff 2170) will be different enough to make your seams a bit off. You don't have to specifically use bobbin thread, but don't change the type of thread throught the project. If you're making a block that you need to trim to size, this isn't so much of an issue. But better to be safe!
    Old 02-02-2011, 07:01 AM

I have never heard of "bobbin thread" until now. I've always used the same on top and bobbin.
    Old 02-02-2011, 07:06 AM

I agree about the ruler. I am one that no matter what I do my seams aren't perfect but if I use the same ruler and measure my 1/4" seam on each machine it doesn't matter what machine I use. The seams are the same mess on either machine lol..
    Old 02-02-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante
    From this comment I found on line, I wouldn't want to use bobbin thread in my quilting: "Bobbin thread is a fine thread intended only for use in the bobbin during embroidery. It is not a strong thread, so don’t use it for regular sewing. This very fine thread reduces the build-up of thread under your embroidery, reducing bulk, and making your design."
    It was at this URL: softer.http://www.meissnersewing.com/Meisne...ksJune2008.pdf
    I use bobbin thread all the time and have never had a problem. My favorite is Superior's Bottom Line in natural color. It is strong and well-made. The owner of Superior Threads gave a presentation at a LQS and he said it is good as the TOP thread, too, so I have been doing that and LOVE it! Since it comes on big spools as well as smaller ones, I sit and fill 10-12 bobbins at a time and then I'm ready to go! very economical.
    Old 02-02-2011, 09:04 AM

Bobbin thread and prewond bobbins are usually polyester like serger thread, tex 25, but are lots stronger than cotton.Some prewond bobbins are also cotton, but are usually size 60. so is Coats & Clark dual duty cotton that we have used for years on both top and bottom for clothing, quilts, mending, etc.
    The only thing we have to watch when using poly is not to iron the thread as it will melt, so iron, press on the right side only.
    Bottom weight is made for bobbins for embroidery and prewond bobbins. I would not use it for top quilting.
    Phyllis 81 yrs in Oregon
    Old 02-02-2011, 09:37 AM

I have used bobbin thread only in one quilt and will never use it again, the seams did not hold up well. I am not trying to speak badly against a product but this was the experience I had.
    Old 02-02-2011, 10:35 AM

I use Anton-Robison bobbin thread all the time and it is very tough even tho' it is thin. I have never had any problems with it and it sure goes a long way. Don't have to stop and wind so often!
    Old 02-02-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by VaNella
    I do lots of swaps and those blocks are most certainly not done on the same machine! I have never heard of bobbin thread.
    I have never heard of bobbin thread either.
    Old 02-02-2011, 11:48 AM

I like to use the same machine for all my piecing. Latley I've been doing my piecing on my FeatherWeight. I am not real picky with my thread except for garments. It's interesting to read other opinions.