Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • old 'wives tale?' >
  • old 'wives tale?'

• old 'wives tale?'

Old 02-02-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by VaNella
    I do lots of swaps and those blocks are most certainly not done on the same machine! I have never heard of bobbin thread.
    I have sewn most of my life & never heard of bobbin thread either, lol...
    Old 02-02-2011, 12:24 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    as long as you measure your seam allowance and set the machine for that, or use a guide, you can use different machines!
    It is more important to use the same ruler to cut out the entire quilt so that it always accurate.

and yes, 50wt or 60 wt known as bobbin thread does lie flatter...BUT so would use thinner fabric...which is NOT something I am going to do...unless you are making a block with many points going to together in one spot like a mariner compass, then it is not really necessary to worry about thread adding thickness to your seams...the thinner thread is important in paper pieces, as it allows the paper to be removed easier and in most pp'ing projects you do have many points/seams coming together so the thinner thread would be best!

Hope all that made sense!
    Excellent response, except, I do use different rulers without any problem. But just to check, I just laid a couple on top of each other, and the edges line up and markings are identical, so that's why there isn't any problem.

And, I just use regular thread in paper-piecing, as well as regular copy paper. Even with little bitsy pieces or stars or Mariners Compass, I haven't had any problems. So, I guess this is another one of those topics where you will get a dozen different answers depending on the person! LOL
    Old 02-02-2011, 12:36 PM

I'll use 60 wt thread in the Bobbin only when I quilt, not when I piece. When piecing I use the same thread in the bobbin that I used in the top.

I have to use the same machine from start to finish when I'm piecing otherwise the seam allowance may not be the same. I'll also use the same machine from start to finish while quilting. But it may not be the same machine I used to piece.
    Old 02-02-2011, 12:39 PM
    Kas

Never really thought about the machine thing as long as your seam is accurate. I do use a thin thread to piece, same in top and bobbin. I really like Superior Threads Masterpiece or Mettler 60wt cotton embroidery thread.
    Old 02-02-2011, 12:49 PM

I've also been told to always use the same ruler to cut the fabric.
    Old 02-02-2011, 02:11 PM

Halleluya, I must be a quilter, it all made sense!! :P
    Old 02-02-2011, 05:28 PM

I also use bobbin thread all the time and never had a problem.
    Old 02-02-2011, 05:54 PM

I am listening to Charleen DiSante's comments. I bought my machine from Meisner's in Sacramento, and they have had some excellent classes, on thread, needles, etc. I would go by that without worry
    Old 02-02-2011, 07:04 PM

Last week I just checked my machines' 1/4 inch foot with the perkins dry goods perfect scant 1/4"ruler and they were actually very different so i can see why she said this
    Old 02-02-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by judykay
    I have used bobbin thread only in one quilt and will never use it again, the seams did not hold up well. I am not trying to speak badly against a product but this was the experience I had.
    I took a class on heirloom machine quilting, and I took a class on precision piecing. Both classes were taught by the master quilter, Harriet Hargrave, from Wheatridge, Colorado. She is totally convinced that cotton fabrics deserve the strength of cotton threads only -- no rayons or poly threads which will eventually cut the fabric of the quilt in the seams. Thinner embroidery threads do not hold up to the weight of a quilt and eventually the seams will come apart. She recommends Presencia 3-ply 60 weight for piecing a quilt. This thread is manufactured in Spain by a family owned company known for quality and it is relatively new to the United States, but has been in Europe for 80 years or more. For machine quilting, you can use almost any thread on the top, and almost any thread in the bobbin, including silk threads and nylon threads. A wonderful book dealing with all of this is Harriet Hargraves Heirloom Machine Quilting book.