Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Older Model Machines >
  • Older Model Machines

• Older Model Machines

Old 08-08-2024, 12:09 PM

Every machine I buy is pretty basic. I like an auto threader, needle down, and speed control. Straight stitch and zig-zag. I have machines with multiple stitches, but rarely use those stitches.
    Old 08-08-2024, 01:19 PM

The 440 wasn't the easiest machine to embroider on but it did sew nice. I did trade mine in for the Bernina 630 which I liked better and that was my main piecing machine. I also had a Viking D1 which was top of the line when it came out. That one did embroidery using a floppy drive and also stitched like a charm even through those pleated drapes I made using pleating tape. So I think that was 6 layers of heavier fabric. It was a sad day when the screen went out after about 20 years I think. I do like keeping a simple, lighter machine around for taking to class or traveling and I have a simpler machine in my cabinet for at home piecing with more bells and whistle and I really like it. And I have another one for embroidery. Yep, need several machines. I do have a Singer 66 in good shape but it is heavy and in a cabinet and honestly, I don't use it. I miss the threader, needle up/down and the knee lifter too much.
    Old 08-09-2024, 09:06 AM

Smile Old Singer

Originally Posted by aashley333
    Trade in my mechanical, metal geared machine? Absolutely not. I still use it more than my new one with bells. Forty years and going strong! I have to consult the manual when using the new Bernette, but I really just wanted more automated stitches.
    I bought a refurbished Singer in 1963 and still use it! Had it cleaned and the tension adjusted in 2011 and that is the only time it has been out of my sight. The repair man said to not ever let go of it as it was the last full metal machine made by Singer, I have sew everything from elk leather jackets to silk bridal gowns and trust it will last as long as I do!
    Old 08-09-2024, 09:17 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by rosimone
    I bought a refurbished Singer in 1963 and still use it! Had it cleaned and the tension adjusted in 2011 and that is the only time it has been out of my sight. The repair man said to not ever let go of it as it was the last full metal machine made by Singer, I have sew everything from elk leather jackets to silk bridal gowns and trust it will last as long as I do!
    What is the model njmber of that machine?
    Old 08-14-2024, 08:42 AM

I bought my Singer 403A, used, in 1972 and it still runs like a top. The stitch is beautiful and even too. Like Rosimone, the salesperson at the Singer store told me to never let it go and he was right. I would not trade it for anything.

Last edited by tropit; 08-14-2024 at 08:45 AM.
    Old 08-15-2024, 05:14 AM

I didn't trade this one in but sold it to a gal at work when I bought my 1st ever combo embroidery machine thinking I only needed one machine. Boy was I wrong. I even tried to buy it back at twice what she paid me and nothing doing. She loved the machine as much as I did. It was an Elna SU62 bought used in 1978, all metal with the lid used as the table. Never saw the inside of a repair shop, traveled to numerous states with me and the only thing that broke on it was a knob which I glued back on it. Even had the cams to go with it. I loved that machine and since 2000 when I sold it, I've been kicking myself for doing it. I've looked for another one just like it but nothing says it will sew like the one I had. My big mistake.
    Old 08-19-2024, 11:53 AM

I mostly, 95% of the time, use my 221 featherweight. Only use newer one for zig zag.
    Old 08-23-2024, 07:00 AM

I have a White Featherweight and a Janome 6600 and love them both, so have a little of both old and new.
    Old 08-23-2024, 07:07 AM
    Power Poster

I have never even been tempted by a computerized machine in the first place! Mine are mechanical and a couple are basic electronic. I even have a couple treadles and featherweights, plus a 201, 301, 401 and the one I bought for myself before I got married the first time in 1965 - a turquoise singer 327, all in good working order.
    Old 08-31-2024, 09:05 AM

I too have the 403 that my folks got me when I graduated from HS in 1962 (dating myself☺️). While I love the bells and whistles of my Janome, esp the thread cutter, I wouldn’t trade in my Singer for anything. It will still outsew my fancy machine and has sewn everything from wedding dresses, baby clothes, mending overalls and sewing a floor in a tent!