Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Oliso TG1600 Pro Plus 1800 Watt SmartIro >
  • Oliso TG1600 Pro Plus 1800 Watt SmartIro

• Oliso TG1600 Pro Plus 1800 Watt SmartIro

Old 07-09-2024, 02:04 PM
    GGK

Default Oliso TG1600 Pro Plus 1800 Watt SmartIro

In the past two years I've purchased two Rowenta irons, both of them always leaked water and eventually just died. Yes, I was using the right water. My first Rowenta iron lasted several for many years. The last one died while I was using it yesterday; just stopped heating.

I am considering purchasing an Oliso TG1600 Pro Plus 1800 Watt SmartIron, but wanted to know if any of you have one, and what you think of the product.
    Old 07-09-2024, 06:44 PM

I had an Oliso. It was nice and worked fairly well, but it stopped steaming after a year or so. I do garments so definitely need steam. I got a LauraStar and I love it.
    Old 07-10-2024, 04:23 AM

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gravity+f...f=nb_sb_noss_1

I've used these gravity feed irons for about 15 years now. Only on my second one. They are WONDERFUL! Mine have used tap water so no purchasing special water for it. I did replace the water hose (1/4" clear plastic hose from the hardware store) about a year ago. Mine got yucky or something and the water didn't feed well. It's a GREAT iron and so much less expensive than the "name brand" ones.
    Old 07-10-2024, 06:20 AM

Rowenta's are junk. I've had two and neither lasted very long. Just my personal opinion. I will be watching this thread as I am looking for a good iron too. I have learned that I have to use distilled water regardless of what the manufacturers say since I have hard water and that has helped prolong the life of my irons. I currently have a Chi iron and it is mediocre at best. It's only 1700 watts so I would think right off the bat that a 1800 watt iron will be better. Good luck!
    Old 07-10-2024, 07:03 AM

I have had 2 Oliso irons. Loved the concept, but they both died at 1 year. One quit heating and one the feet got stuck in the down position. Won't buy another, they are expensive!!
    Old 07-10-2024, 07:27 AM

Just recently won one during the Florida Shop Hop. I love it. It is the hottest iron I have ever owned. I don't use steam in my irons, I use a wool mat and spray if needed. Usually, spray isn't necessary. I did purchase a silicon trivet to place it on. It raises about 1/2 ", the muslin covered board I use for ironing was getting extremely hot. The only habit I have had to change is I can't press while the iron cools. It has to be plugged in for the feet to be up. Otherwise, the feet are down. Would I buy one. NO. I can purchase all the irons I will ever need at Wally World for the retail price of this one.
    Old 07-10-2024, 07:34 AM

I've had 2 irons that I absolutely loved. First was a Reliable Digital Velocity. It came to me used (was given to me by a friend, her mother was the original owner and passed, and the friend gifted the iron to me). I used the snot out of it and it lasted 7 years.

The other iron I love is a plain ol $18 Proctor Silex I found at the hardware store. No auto shutoff and gets plenty hot. If it ever dies, no skin off my nose. I'm so happy with it, I've already bought another one as backup.
    Old 07-11-2024, 04:31 AM

I had an Oliso, I liked the iron a lot until one day I was ironing. It literally caught fire, started smoking, it was horrible, I yelled to my husband, he ran in with a fire extinguisher and put the fire out. Oliso told me that has happened to a few other customers but since it was out of warranty they would not replace it. They said I must have ironed over the cord, no I did not, the fire started on the sole plate.
    Old 07-11-2024, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by rjwilder
    I had an Oliso, I liked the iron a lot until one day I was ironing. It literally caught fire, started smoking, it was horrible, I yelled to my husband, he ran in with a fire extinguisher and put the fire out. Oliso told me that has happened to a few other customers but since it was out of warranty they would not replace it. They said I must have ironed over the cord, no I did not, the fire started on the sole plate.
    Yikes! That's scary!
    Old 07-12-2024, 04:03 AM

The iron's I like the best are from Walmart. They're inexpensive and last longer than the expensive ones. I have an Oliso iron that I bought when Pat Sloan was promoting them. I have a hard time using it because it's so heavy and clunky. I have some arthritis in my hands and a heavy iron doesn't work for me. It's in the box in the basement. My late husband used a Rowenta to iron his shirts and he always used steam. He emptied it after every use but it started spitting out rust so I threw it away. My advice is buy an inexpensive one and when it quits you won't feel bad that you haven't spent a lot of money 💰