• Main
  • One block wonders >
  • One block wonders

• One block wonders

Old 10-23-2009, 09:14 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by omak
    I will get right on it, as SOON as I complete that other challenge I got involved with yesterday ... that stack and slash nightmare! :lol:
    I saw that! And you were doing sterling work at unravelling the puzzle! :D BTW if you can work that out (I lost it around page 2! :shock: ) you can do OBWs IN YOUR SLEEP! :wink: :D
    Old 10-23-2009, 01:08 PM

So! I have to go to town today for some reason, and no use leaving the ranch if I don't stop in at the quilt shop, and I looked, and I looked, and I LOOKED
    I couldn't see ANYTHING to use for the 4PP ! !
    So, I am thinking .... hmmm .... I have a lot of fabric back at the bunkhouse, maybe .... I should just get two or three 4PP out of a fat quarter, and accrue a whole bunch of blocks, and THEN make them play nice together ... I am fairly successful with my dogs and cat, and hubby seems contented ... my children actually grew up civilized ... I think I could make that happen!!
    So I spent my money on two more quilt books and two more rulers, and one yard of fabric that I was told wouldn't work with a center <g> ... and two yards of fabric that I think MIGHT work someday for a border of some kind!
    Just had to share before I go get batteries charged with a nap!
    <wave>
    Old 10-23-2009, 09:14 PM

Hi from Nebraska,

I have a Better Homes and Garden's quilt book, that is titled Grandma's Best Full Size Quilt Blocks. In this book they call this
    1830-1860 Mosaic Star. Maybe you could find this book at your library. I have looking at this block thinking maybe I could just make some single blocks and make them into place mats as a Christmas gift!! Good Luck !

I stumbled across a picture the other day that was showing a quilt of Ole Glory. It is the American Flag and it looks like it is blowing in the wind. Does anyone know what company has this pattern, or where I could get ahold of a copy of the pattern? Thanks!
    Old 10-23-2009, 10:48 PM

Omark here is a photo of one that is the done using the square block method.....very fun to do and you can do it ...enjoy.....:-)

I didn't do this one ......but love the colors! So I had to take a photo of it
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]50577[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-7275.jpe   attachment-7279.jpe   attachment-50577.jpe  
    Old 10-23-2009, 11:26 PM

WOW! Gcathie, that is really a good way to showcase the diversity of a patterned fabric, doesn't it?
    Thanks for sharing those pictures with this thread ... now to keep an eye out for the appropriate fabric from my stash. :lol:
    Old 10-23-2009, 11:33 PM

Oh! You mean my avatar picture?
    I have that book, and the name is most certainly the block I have displayed, but I know the block as carpenter's wheel. The quickest way I have found to make that block is to make a bunch of gridded half square triangles ... but, I was just thinking of a book that I have (can't remember the name right now?) but the outer "ring" of pieces become a frame of sorts for what the author has put into the centers. It was a Sally Johnson book, and she makes teeny tiny little blocks ... but, I apologize ... I just can't remember the name of the book :?
    I am heading to bed right now, but I will come back tomorrow and look for that flag for you and post the link. I am pretty sure that I have copied it at least once as a free pattern off the web. See you tomorrow <wave>

Originally Posted by Granny414
    Hi from Nebraska,

I have a Better Homes and Garden's quilt book, that is titled Grandma's Best Full Size Quilt Blocks. In this book they call this
    1830-1860 Mosaic Star. Maybe you could find this book at your library. I have looking at this block thinking maybe I could just make some single blocks and make them into place mats as a Christmas gift!! Good Luck !

I stumbled across a picture the other day that was showing a quilt of Ole Glory. It is the American Flag and it looks like it is blowing in the wind. Does anyone know what company has this pattern, or where I could get ahold of a copy of the pattern? Thanks!
    Old 10-24-2009, 05:06 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/%22Let-it-Wave-B...11219005r15406

Is this similar to the one that you were thinking of?
    Old 10-24-2009, 05:32 PM

You need to find a realistic print of animals, flowers, people doing action movements (athletic moves) and preferably not have a solid color background. For example : you'd want swirling wavy water with ducks on the lake, soccer players running dribbling the ball, parrots and tropical birds on green leafy background. Find your length of the repeat, buy 6 repeats (if making hexagons). Depending on how long the repeat is, will determine how much fabric to buy. If the repeat is 12" or less you probably want 12 repeats, but if it's 18" or longer than 6 repeats should be enough, unless you're making a bed- size quilt, then you'd need more. The folks at the fabric shop can help you buy the amount you need.
    Old 10-24-2009, 06:13 PM

aha! I saw a western fabric that had a lot of different things in it, but the thing I kept thinking was: I'm not sure about the frames around some of the images. It was sort of childish, and shaded like I would want, but the straight lines gave me pause ... so, I am glad to know that there definitely needs to be movement for the technique to look as intriguing that all we have seen.
    Old 10-25-2009, 05:11 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by omak
    aha! I saw a western fabric that had a lot of different things in it, but the thing I kept thinking was: I'm not sure about the frames around some of the images. It was sort of childish, and shaded like I would want, but the straight lines gave me pause ... so, I am glad to know that there definitely needs to be movement for the technique to look as intriguing that all we have seen.
    Yes, you have to be REALLY careful with straight lines because if you're off ever so slightly with your matching up, it'll be glaringly obvious. Swirls and curves are more forgiving. :D