Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • One more ? on long arm rulers >
  • One more ? on long arm rulers

• One more ? on long arm rulers

Old 09-30-2017, 09:04 AM

Default One more ? on long arm rulers

First, thanks to all for the info on where to get rulers. Now need to know what you all use on the backs to keep the rulers from slipping. Thanks in advance.
    Old 09-30-2017, 10:41 AM
    Power Poster

I just do ruler work on my sewing machine but Gina Perkes uses little squares of the rubberized shelf lining loose under her rulers. I tried it with mine and it really works. You do need to move them when you move the ruler but so far this is the best I have found to use.
    Old 09-30-2017, 10:57 AM
    Banned

I use a spray that my BFF gave me that is just for the back of rulers. It only takes a very light spray to keep your ruler from sliding, if you spray it too heavy the ruler sticks to your fabric lol. Right now I can't remember the name of it but I think it's made by the same company that makes 505 spray.

Cari
    Old 09-30-2017, 01:12 PM

I don't use anything at all. Just press downwards, stitch, and slide the ruler.
    Old 09-30-2017, 04:08 PM

One of the rulers I bought has a very narrow piece of the hook part of peel and stick Velcro on it. It's supposed to stick to quilting fabric and not slide. I just bought the ruler so I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
    Old 10-02-2017, 02:34 AM

I'm pretty sure DeLoah Jones also sells some adhesive strips for rulers and you just cut them to the size you want.
    Old 10-02-2017, 02:55 AM

I use plain old fashion rubber cement. I paint the entire back with it the night before I use it so it is competently dry. It is clear, cheap,cleans off with my thumb when it gets dirty and is not permanent.
    Old 10-02-2017, 03:40 AM
    Power Poster

You need to have a Ruler Base for your longarm. I don’t put anything on my rulers. I simply hold them. Don’t have slippage. Longarm rulers are not really big, they aren’t made for cutting. My longest one is 12”. I can hold it in place, stop and move my hands or the ruler as needed. The base is a necessity though. Gives you a flat ( base) to give you a firm place to hold the rulers. You’ve asked about longarm rulers but not mentioned what longarm you have? I always check with my dealer or the company website first for any tools to use with my machine. ( HQ Avante)
    my dealer is always willing to let me try out the rulers or give me a little lesson to learn to use tools and I know I’m getting what will work best with my machine.
    Old 10-02-2017, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    You need to have a Ruler Base for your longarm. I don’t put anything on my rulers. I simply hold them. Don’t have slippage. Longarm rulers are not really big, they aren’t made for cutting. My longest one is 12”. I can hold it in place, stop and move my hands or the ruler as needed. The base is a necessity though. Gives you a flat ( base) to give you a firm place to hold the rulers. You’ve asked about longarm rulers but not mentioned what longarm you have? I always check with my dealer or the company website first for any tools to use with my machine. ( HQ Avante)
    my dealer is always willing to let me try out the rulers or give me a little lesson to learn to use tools and I know I’m getting what will work best with my machine.
    I have a platinum 16 sit down and just ordered a table overlay for it. Did do some ruler work already, but the base will make it a lot easier I'm sure.
    Old 10-04-2017, 03:31 PM

Some ideas include the Handigrip tape from Handiquilter, skateboard tape from a skateboard shop and/or the Nexcare first aid tape from the drugstore.