Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • One of the reasons I learned to quilt >
  • One of the reasons I learned to quilt

• One of the reasons I learned to quilt

Old 01-10-2011, 05:55 PM

I learned to sew from as far back as I can remember. My grandmother taught me to sew on ther 1914 treadle, which I inherited, and it still works. My mom tried to teach me to crochet, but she used to make doilies and things with the small thread and needles. My fingers would'nt work right so I put it down until my daughter was little. Then I taught myself using the biggest crochet hook and yarn. Now I can use the small thread too. I sewed a lot of my daughter's clothes when she was young. Now I sew my granddaughter's clothes and quilt.
    Old 01-10-2011, 06:06 PM

My MIL taught me how to crochet and hand embroidery while I was pregnant with my DD,she is now 25,I embroidered several blocks and learned to put them together with sashing stripes and tied them.Then one day I was at an elder neighbor ladies house and seen her quilts and totally fell in love,so I started asking her lots of questions and went to the library and checked out quilt books and taught myself,using scizzors and cutting one block at a time,then one day I seen a quilting show on PBS and she was using a rotary cutter,bought cutter and mat (boy what a difference) and I've been quilting every since.
    Old 01-10-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by ibequilting1
    Tatting is a lost art. I wanted to learn how and bought a shuttle and book but could not master it. I needed someone to show me how. I am a visual person.
    I tried tatting - my stepmother was a fantastic tatter. However, the shuttle went one way and the thread went another. Never got the hang of it!! LOL
    Old 01-10-2011, 06:29 PM

My Mother died when I was 19 and My Mother in Law was a quilter and spent so many hours with me learning to quilt. Never pushing on me but always there to encourage me. Now that she is gone her 4 daughters thank me for carrying on her legacy. I was blessed to have her in my life and to teach me this wonderful outlet.
    Old 01-10-2011, 06:51 PM

I had a wonderful Home Ec. teacher in H.S. that taught us how to make tailored suits our senior year ,one girl made her wedding gown.We had a fashion show and invited our familys . I have been sewing ever since she was the best teacher I ever had. My first quilt was 23 years ago and it was a sampler that taught us to do piecing and applique the only class I have taken but enjoyed and that began my love for quilting I love working with colors so fun.
    Old 01-10-2011, 07:02 PM

1. I love to sew! 2. I love all the beautiful fabric out there and love making something useful out of it! 3. Quilts are beautiful pieces of art, whether on a bed, wall or table. 4. It's in my DNA. :)
    Old 01-10-2011, 07:11 PM

My grandma taught me how to quilt and crochet. I love doing it but it also reminds me of how great she was and how much I still miss her after 26 years.
    Old 01-10-2011, 07:23 PM

I had a friend teach me how do do sewing pattern, made some clothes for my girls when they were little. One day my younger sister show'd me a quilt she made, a friend show'd her. I decided to try it, took a course at the local high scool and have loved it ever since. I only hand quilt and I give away the quilts I made, I will never feel like a pro, especially when I see some of the quilts on this board... I will always be a novice but, I love it. :-D
    Old 01-10-2011, 07:28 PM

Gosh that's a good question but i am not really sure. No one in my family except one cousin does any type of crafting whatsoever. But i somehow picked up how to crochet, scrapbook, and now trying to learn how to quilt :)

My grandma used to do beautiful crochet with tiny thread but that was before i was born and i don't ever remember her doing crochet but i do have a few dollies that she did.
    Old 01-10-2011, 08:10 PM

if material keeps going up us poor quilters will have to quit, won't be able to aford it.