Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Opinion on quilting using stenciles vs ruler templates >
  • Opinion on quilting using stenciles vs ruler templates

• Opinion on quilting using stenciles vs ruler templates

Old 05-01-2019, 06:54 AM

And they are usually available at a local store near you also.
    Old 05-01-2019, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by GEMRM
    Also, not a stencil or a ruler but this technique also works
    - you can trace the shape you want onto light tissue paper (there is a commercial- made-for- quilting- brand called Golden Threads), or use dollar store stuff. Just don't use a ball point pen or marker to trace, a light pencil line works best for me.
    Pin to the area you want to quilt the design, stitch, tear away paper. If the paper sticks, you can moisten a Q tip and "help" it to loosen.
    Complex designs can be done with very little money invested.
    Thank you Gemrm. From what I saw on YouTube, in order to repeat design several times, the instructor Neddle Punched a bunch of papers with the sketched one on top, and the rest of the papers underneath had the design on them with only needle punches. When I saw this, my first reaction was, my eyes are not good enough to see those needle punches I don't think. What do you do when you want to make the design multiple times?
    Old 05-01-2019, 01:11 PM

Just wanted to say, I can't draw my way out of a wet paper bag, but for some reason, I can FMQ. I can't even draw the FMQ designs on paper! So, don't count yourself out it may not be the problem you think it's going to be. Give it a try on some practice sandwiches.

I've used quilting stencils to do borders by using a blue water soluble marker to trace them onto the fabric and then just follow along. Works great.

Watson
    Old 05-01-2019, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Watson
    Just wanted to say, I can't draw my way out of a wet paper bag, but for some reason, I can FMQ. I can't even draw the FMQ designs on paper! So, don't count yourself out it may not be the problem you think it's going to be. Give it a try on some practice sandwiches.

I've used quilting stencils to do borders by using a blue water soluble marker to trace them onto the fabric and then just follow along. Works great.

Watson

Yes, that is me Watson. After watching about a dozen or more videos on YouTube explaining FMQ for beginners, I got out some paper and tried to draw the "easy" designs on paper as they demonstrated. It was pathetic. A three year old could have done better.

Good to hear you were able to master it dispite your inabillity to draw. I hope I'm as lucky. It sure would be nice to learn FMQ. I just love the look of pretty quilting
    Old 05-02-2019, 03:23 AM

Yes, they wash out. I just finished and washed a quilt that had white in it, and had both blue and green lines on it. And it had sat folded up in the closet for almost a month before I was able to do the quilting, so I was a little worried about the lines coming out. Washed and dried with no problems.
    Old 05-02-2019, 03:57 AM

I took a class which involved using rulers on a domestic sewing machine. The class was excellent but I found using them cumbersome. I'm not the most coordinated person so maybe that's the problem. A person in my Guild was kind enough to ask if I would like to borrow the required set for the class since she had taken it so I didn't need to invest in a lot of supplies I may or may not use. My preferred method is still disappearing soluble markers.
    Old 05-02-2019, 06:35 AM

You can also draw your designs onto Press and Seal to stitch over and tear off. It will hold down to your block although I sometimes use a larger piece and pin the corners well away from where I am stitching. It is easy to tear off. I am with those of you who do not have the talent to draw with just my needle as I stitch.
    Old 05-02-2019, 04:50 PM

If I need to do multiple repeats of the same pattern, I just draw it multiple times... or sometimes, I photo copy onto thin (cheap) copy paper, then stitch and tear away - using tweezers held against the stitching while using another pair of tweezers to tear, and moistening stubborn paper gets the removal done!
    I try not to be in a hurry when tracing (i.e. over morning cup of tea I'll do some, and some more at lunch etc).
    I've done the unthreaded needle punches through layers of paper too but I'm not as big a fan of that.... I need to see the lines I guess to keep on track!
    Old 05-02-2019, 05:17 PM

I can't even trace a straight line!! Totally no artistic talent. I came to the realization that the purpose of quilting is to hold the 3 pieces together so I am happy to just do the meandering or stippling design. I ventured out and do some practice sandwiches using different methods every once in a while so maybe one of these days it will all come together. Good luck and just keep trying different methods until you find your nitch.
    Old 05-03-2019, 07:57 AM

I prefer stencils if I am not doing free motion quilting. Thanks for the tip of Crayola Ultra Washable Markers. They sound perfect.