Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Opinions from Bernina 570 owners, please. >
  • Opinions from Bernina 570 owners, please.

• Opinions from Bernina 570 owners, please.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:34 AM

Default Opinions from Bernina 570 owners, please.

I'm considering this machine because it has my must-have features: built in walking foot, needle down, knee lift for presser foot, vertical bobbin. (I've never driven one before, though, still need to do that.) I've never owned any Bernina before, and am a little concerned about the learning curve because I have read reviews online where new owners took a long time to get used to the machine, causing much frustration.
    So, if you have a 570, either the "new" one or the "old" 570, I'd love to hear what you think, the good, the bad and the ugly, lol. I could use some guidance on a reasonable price for a new one, too. I'm not interested in the embroidery module.
    Thanks in advance for any help, and have a creative day!
    Old 03-21-2019, 07:45 AM
    Power Poster

I know we have members here who work at shops that sell Bernina so they could probably answer better. I have a much older Bernina (Virtuoso 153 Quilters Edition). I got it back in 2002 and it is still going strong and I love it. If you buy from a good, reputable dealer you should get a class or multiple classes to familiarize yourself with the machine and most of the more commonly used features. I know when I bought mine, my dealer offered these and it really was great. I learned a lot in the class that I never would have figured out on my own or if I could, it would have taken me a long time and probably a great deal of frustration. I just looked on line and saw a price quoted of $4,500 for the 570 which sounds about right.
    Old 03-21-2019, 09:00 AM

Have you test drive them. Make sure it's a good fit for you
    Old 03-22-2019, 01:26 PM

Tried the machine, liked it, ordered it. Will get it next week, mid week.
    Old 03-22-2019, 01:45 PM
    Power Poster

Congratulations on your new machine. I think you will be very happy with it. Do take advantage of any free classes the dealer offers.
    Old 03-22-2019, 06:05 PM

You'll love it! It doesn't have a built-in walking foot, it has "dual feed." A walking foot is so much better for layers, vinyl, quilting, flannel, minky, etc. But the dual feed is great for piecing 2 layers. You'll get best results in piecing if you use a #34D foot and move your needle position to the right. With the wider feed dogs, it's difficult for the 1/4" foot to feed the fabric through.
    Old 03-22-2019, 07:53 PM

Congrats on the new machines. I've had 2 Berninas, a 1630 and my current one, Artista 180. I just love my Berninas.
    Old 03-22-2019, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine
    You'll love it! It doesn't have a built-in walking foot, it has "dual feed." A walking foot is so much better for layers, vinyl, quilting, flannel, minky, etc. But the dual feed is great for piecing 2 layers. You'll get best results in piecing if you use a #34D foot and move your needle position to the right. With the wider feed dogs, it's difficult for the 1/4" foot to feed the fabric through.
    Thanks for the advice on the piecing foot. I noticed the piecing foot included with the machine purchase is the 97, not the 97D. What's up with that? Told the dealer I know I'll never use the 97. Dual feed is never disengaged on my Pfaff. Why would I ever work without it? Seriously. So she agreed to swap that foot out with the 97D for me when the machine comes. She seems very sweet. I will get 20% off on any accessories I buy within the first six months, so I will definitely buy that foot. I've already bought the open toe applique foot which accommodates the dual feed and another set of 5 bobbins. Yikes, those bobbins are expensive!

Last edited by JustAbitCrazy; 03-23-2019 at 12:02 AM.
    Old 03-24-2019, 12:31 PM

I would Love to have that machine... I have a larger Bernina (and I still have my old 830 Record...the mechanical Bernina...still going strong after 45 years!) You'll quickly learn to love your machine...

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-24-2019 at 01:50 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 03-24-2019, 12:55 PM

running, which larger Bernina do you have?