Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • opinions on Ott Lites please.. >
  • opinions on Ott Lites please..

• opinions on Ott Lites please..

Old 05-17-2014, 01:25 PM

I love my Ott light! It's plenty bright for hand sewing and I can position it at different angles for concentrated light. It's a floor lamp that I put on a lazy susan so it can swivel over a plant that needs a little more light or swivel it over me when I'm sewing. I used a 50% off coupon at Joanne's so it seemed reasonable to me. I wouldn't be without it!
    Old 05-17-2014, 02:23 PM

I bought one of these lamps at Menards about 5 years ago. It is perfect, has full spectrum light, uses the PL bulbs that the Ott lites uses and costs significantly less. I paid $19.99 on sale when I purchased mine.

http://www.menards.com/main/lighting...092-c-6356.htm
    Old 05-17-2014, 02:36 PM

I have 2 floor lamps - one by my chair in the TV room and one next to my sewing machine in my sewing room. I also have 2 desk lamps - one in my kitchen (under a cupboard that is a dark spot) and one on a shelf in the sewing room that also lights the other side of my sewing machine.

One floor lamp did go bad on me - it has a starter or whatever they call it - that went out and my husband had no idea how to fix it, and it wasn't worth having it repaired and just got another one. I am not sure how old it was, but those things happen. It turned out Joann's was having a good sale at the time and I had a gift card so it came out cheap for me.
    Old 05-17-2014, 04:07 PM

I have 3 bought all at 1/2 price. Love them!
    Old 05-17-2014, 04:15 PM

I have 3 Ott floor lamps and 2 tabletop ones. No problems. They do help sewing and give a true representation of the colors being used.
    Old 05-17-2014, 05:46 PM

I have macular degeneration and need good light and, often, magnification, to sew. I love my Ott lamps! In my sewing room, I have a floor model that lights up my ironing and cutting area. I have floor models on each side of my Bernina and a table lamp model by my Featherweight. That is four Ott lamps in my sewing room. I also have a floor model in my great room by the chair in which I do my hand sewing. I had a portable one that I took to classes; but I let my granddaughter borrow it. I got my first Ott lamp 14 years ago, and although I use it daily, I did not have to replace the bulb until last year. I will add that replacing the bulb is not easy. You have to really push the bulb to get it all the way in. I have another brand of floor lamp in my sewing room at the other end of my cutting table. I do not like it nearly as much as I like my Ott lamps.
    Old 05-17-2014, 06:00 PM
    Banned

Ditto on getting them on a 50% off coupon at Joann's. I just bought a small, battery operated LED Ott for taking to sew-in's (the light is kinda bad in one place that I go to) .

At home, though, I have bought the LED's at Costco to replace my bulbs in the fixtures I have that have 5 flexible necks on a stand. The switch lets you turn on 2 of the 5 heads, or the other 3, or all 5. I have the two pointed down at my machine area and cutting/ironing area. I love them because they are relatively bright, but stay cool.
    Old 05-17-2014, 06:54 PM

I have two Ott lights. One is a floor lamp and I really like that one. The other is a table one that is on a weighted stand with a telescoping arm to adjust the height. The lamp itself is also adjustable. I do not like that one because I can't find a spot on my sewing table where it is not reflecting off my sewing machine or if I put it higher it shines in my eyes which is too bright and distracting. If I could find a way to have it over my shoulder like the floor one that would be great but haven't figured that out yet.

JoAnn's prices their Ott lights very high. I have seen them at Lowes and Home Depot for even less than you can get them with a 40-50% off coupon at JoAnn's so shop around as the price does vary.

I have not had a bulb burn out but did have to replace my bulb in my desk top one when I tipped it over and the bulb broke.

There was another posting on this board about a person who had her Ott light with a magnifier attached start a fire when the sunshine hit the magnifying glass and set her chair on fire so be careful if you get one with a magnifier to either cover the magnifier when not in use or position it in such a way that sunlight will not get to it.
    Old 05-17-2014, 07:49 PM

You can always get a table top Ott light...that's what I use right over my sewing machine. Less expensive and it has a neck extension that can be adjusted to whatever you're doing or need the light for.
    Old 05-17-2014, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    I bought one of these lamps at Menards about 5 years ago. It is perfect, has full spectrum light, uses the PL bulbs that the Ott lites uses and costs significantly less. I paid $19.99 on sale when I purchased mine.

http://www.menards.com/main/lighting...092-c-6356.htm
    This is what I have ... an Ott-like lamp, in that it is a full spectrum light. I wouldn't pay for the name brand as this is great.

My friend bought hers online and they actually sent her two. She gave me one as they didn't want it back.