Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Opinions sought for log cabin quilt >
  • Opinions sought for log cabin quilt

• Opinions sought for log cabin quilt

Old 12-12-2013, 06:44 AM

It's a beautiful quilt and your work really shines. Personally, I like the size it is now. Like others I like for the bed skirt to show and I like for the pillows to be on top of the quilt with matching shams or pillowcases. But the suggestions of the others also sound like they would work. So it sounds like it should be yours or your recipients personal preference. That wasn't much help
    Old 12-12-2013, 07:00 AM

I'm with quiltingolfer, I've done that with two queen size quilts. Works great and looks nice. If I can figure out how to do it I will post a couple of pictures. Don't add to that already beautiful quilt!
    Old 12-12-2013, 07:02 AM

This is beautiful... After the border is added it might be as long as you need it
    Old 12-12-2013, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by squeaky44
    Gorgeous quilt. Check out www.maryquilts.com. Scroll down on left hand side menu to log cabin for en example of what you can do border wise.
    Thanks for the link; I really do like that idea. I'm also waiting back to hear from the recipient to see if they want something added or if it is fine as is.
    JulieB
    Old 12-12-2013, 10:54 AM

Adding fabric borders to increase the size of the quilt makes sense to me.
    Old 12-12-2013, 11:01 AM

It is beautiful! I usually like my quilts to be rectangular also I lots of times add a wider boarder to the top and/or to the bottom. there are lots of great suggestions on this link..
    Old 12-12-2013, 12:12 PM

Ditto! froggyintexas

Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer
    I think the quilt is perfect. Make a couple of quick pillow cases to match it, and they won't need to pull the top up so high. You want your dust ruffle to show too.
    Old 12-12-2013, 02:40 PM

Default Similar problem

Originally Posted by JulieB
    This log cabin should measure about 96" square, but I think it may be better if it were rectangular. The sides come down quite nicely on my queen sized bed, but the bottom is a little short. This quilt is for someone else, not for me, so I'd like them to be pleased with it. I don't have a lot of material left, but I may have enough for one more row. Should I try that, or would something else work? I'm afraid the extra row will really screw up the symmetry. What about borders: can I do just two sides or make two longer than the others? Again, I really don't have a lot of extra material to play with so any borders would be pretty thin. Thanks for your input.
    Hi Julie B. I have made a similar bedspread and kept adding borders and it worked out fine. My idea for you is to use your scraps in any scrappy manner, lattice, chevron, piano keys for examples. This is a beautiful quilt, I would just add to the bottom for the symmetry and if you have anything left over, make some shams with scraps at the hem . Would like to see your choices. Thanks for sharing. Sandy
    Old 12-12-2013, 04:32 PM

I love this style of the log cabin. You did a good job assembling it, too. All your points and corners are perfect!
    Old 12-12-2013, 06:40 PM

Julie,

I have been thinking about your question and an idea was playing around in my head -- I'm not sure how to design my idea, so it may be worthless. I think I would try it if it were me, but then, I'm a rank amateur and probably don't know when I'm getting in over my head! LOL. If you want to add to the quilt, then I suggest that you make your log cabin blocks and set them "on point". Look in the Quilt Gallery at the red/white log cabin, with the borders set on-point! (Log Cabins 2). It would then appear as if it was intended to be that way (which it is if that's your choice)! Your quilt is positively beautiful as it is. I did a hand-embroidered whole cloth (white) with red borders as a wedding gift for my nephew and his bride. I also did a pair of pillow shams, white, embroidered the same as the quilt (only much smaller, of course) and made red folded ruffle around the shams. I don't think you want ruffles on pillow shams for this quilt, but then that's just MHO! (my 2 cents worth)! I don't know, the ideas just keep running around in my brain -- I sometimes have a hard time putting them together. Great job on this quilt! It's wonderful!

Jeanette Frantz