Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Opportunity Question? >
  • Opportunity Question?

• Opportunity Question?

Old 11-05-2010, 01:34 PM

Some people do all their sewing on a serger, but I have never used one and I have made over 50 quilts. Some people like them....never saw the need myself.

I guess it's just personal taste, like so many other things related to sewing. Unless you are going to use lots of fabrics with edges that could unravel all over the place, I don't see the need.

Up to you, in the end.
    Old 11-05-2010, 01:38 PM

:thumbup: I use my surger all the time .... I always make pillow cases to match my quilts and to surge the seams is the only way to go ... so I say if you make anything other than quilts..... shirts or pj pants the surger is the way to go
    Old 11-05-2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy Quiltin Robin
    :thumbup: I use my surger all the time .... I always make pillow cases to match my quilts and to surge the seams is the only way to go ... so I say if you make anything other than quilts..... shirts or pj pants the surger is the way to go
    I use mine in a similar way. I don't use it for quilts. But if I'm sewing any type of clothing, pillow cases, bags, whatever else, my serger is a must have machine.
    Old 11-05-2010, 02:31 PM

I know there are several serger ladies (sorry can't remember their names) that use a serger for making their entire quilts. They are well known ladies but their names escape me at the moment but they do rave about using one for quilting and have books out on how to do this. I have one but don't really use it much.
    Old 11-05-2010, 03:21 PM

There was a booth at the Houston Quilt Show that was all about quilting with a serger. From the little I've used one, I think it would be a good deal. If I had that opportunity, I'd take it in a trice!
    Try these sites:
    http://www.sewaquilt.com/quilting-with-a-serger.html
    http://www.lindaleeoriginals.com/
    http://www.sewvac1.com/Library/serger_baby_quilt.htm
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4929062_make...ng-serger.html

Go for it - for $200, you can't lose!
    Old 11-05-2010, 03:24 PM

i have one that was given to me and as a quilter i never used it i used it maybe 3 times and that was on a garment , personally i think if i were you and only quilted i would save the 200.00 for something you could use more often
    Old 11-05-2010, 03:34 PM

I bought a serger and it sat in the box for abt a yr...I then stopped being afraid of it and started to use it in my quilting....I now love using it for putting together my quilts. It gives a finished edge when piecing together and no bulk, seams lay flat...Once you get use to using it it's faster and has a straight edge guide which feets your material thru and cuts off excess material as it goes thru. I get straighter lines using it...It's wonderful...So treat yourself and don't wait a yr to give it a try.
    Old 11-05-2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Windwalker
    I have the opportunity to purchase a Janome Serger 204D machine for $200.00. A friend I've known for over 40 years received it last Christmas from her husband. She told me she just hasn't been able to bond with it and wants to sell it. It is still in the box. She has offered to let me take it home and use it to see if I like it before purchasing.

Now my DH is willing to get if for me for Christmas if I want it. The problem is I don't know enough about quilting to know if I might need this machine. I am working on my first quilt top, I've just had so many family issues that I haven't had time to do any sewing.

I have Singer sewing machines now that I am using. And whenever I do get my quilt tops finished I want to machine quilt them myself.

So for those of you who have the knowledge, should I seriously consider this machine? If my life slows down enough for me to get serious about quilting like I hope, would I use it? (In case you cant' tell, I'm not even sure what a serger is used for.)

Your thoughts and suggestions please.
    I really don't think you need a serger for quilting.I use them a lot in my alteration shop, working on peoples clothes but have never used it on a quilt.
    Old 11-05-2010, 05:57 PM

I've had a serger for years and use it often when sewing for the grandchildren. The only time I have used it in quilting is to serge quilt backings together. I learned this when taking a class at my local quilt shop several years ago. When it came time to make the backing, the instructor told us what a beautiful job the serger did, and she was right. It was fast and easy. You cannot tell the back has been serged from the right side of the fabric. The quilt went together beautifully, and when I need to piece fabric to make a backing, I am always so glad I have a serger!
    Old 11-05-2010, 07:09 PM

I don't use my serger much for quilting, but if you sew for kids they are so quick for T-shirt & pants. They work great for flannel nite gowns or PJs too. Any knits are done so much easier on the serger too.