Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Opportunity Question? >
  • Opportunity Question?

• Opportunity Question?

Old 11-05-2010, 07:46 PM

I have a Babylock serger and it is used more than anything else that I have. It also threads very easily. There is a method of 'quilt as you go' where you can piece and quilt at the same time on the serger. It makes a slightly different effect, but works quite well. I also do a lot of sewing of clothing on the serger, as well as household furnishings. However, it depends on motivation, as I have a friend who bought (and wanted) the top of the range serger and sewing machine and both of them have been idle ever since.
    Old 11-05-2010, 07:50 PM

I've had a serger for almost 20 yrs. and I love it.I have pieced quilts with it, I serge around the edges of my quilt, and I just learned the trick of serging the fabric raw edges before washing..

But as you can tell by the comments it is a personal choice and not a necessity. So maybe try it and see what you think.
    Old 11-05-2010, 07:57 PM

I was given a serger machine 5 or 6 yrs. ago, Used it once, and that was to see if it worked. $200 is a lot of money, find out if it is still under warranty also. Check around, I think you can beat that price even with a new one that for sure will be under warrant.
    Old 11-05-2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by sherriequilts
    Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Serger - I use mine for finishing raw edges before washing fabric

Also - if one makes bags/purses/totes - serged edges really look nicer and wear better than raw edges.
    I have avoided prewashing like the plague just because of the fraying issue.
    I have made two duvet covers as I really prefer to sleep under down than quilts! I used a friend's serger then. Now that I have moved I am thinking about buying one for myself. I asked here on the board which I should buy and most people said Babylock. Yesterday I stopped at a shop to look. They had a Brother on sale that appeals to me, but I don't know anything about them. Also, they had Janome and spoke highly of them. Unfortunately, they don't carry Babylocks. The Brother is self-threading which I really like. Now I am really conflicted as I was READY to buy a Babylock!
    I make quilts because I like the way they look, but I think I'd make more duvet covers if I had a serger. Serge potholders etc sounds like a great idea. as did the prewash serging! Sounded like a great price. Don't think you can go wrong!
    I think you should buy what your pocket and potential use will dictate. I bought a Babylock and have never regretted it. It is very expensive here - most other brands are $300 - $500 for one and the Babylock I bought was $3000. I had retirement money at the time, and decided to buy it. It is the best I have had. I used to own two other over - lockers at different times. They were good, but hard to thread. Have not used the Brother over - locker, but have a Brother sewing machine that is fantastic, so if I didn't have the money, I think I would compromise. You may earn or save that amount with your sewing, and upgrade.
    Old 11-06-2010, 03:48 AM

I have a serger and really do not use it for quilting. I have used it for gk's costumes, dd scrub tops for work - more for finishing seams in clothing.
    Old 11-06-2010, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Carol J.
    I have had a serger for 20 years and keep it handy,it sits behind my regular machine and I switch places when I need it. I use it for sewing the long seams for backings, it cuts off the selvedge and leaves a thin seam that don't need pressing. I use it sometimes on the outer edges of quilts, it cuts through the backing batting and top and leaves a nice flat edge for binding, if I were more dexterous, I could appley the binding at the same time but that takes some fancy coordination. I use mine for rolled edges onlinen, use a colored thread and do the outer edges of bookmarks, and have made quilt tops with it. I found a book on making quilts with the serger. You can sew squares together, one after the other, don't cut them apart, when you have the number you want, unfold the squares, match them up and they are ready to go the other direction. Find a book on using a serger, it can be used in so many different ways for practical and decorative work. With use you will get experience and read the directions. Mine also has the chain stitch which I have used for basting and seams, just like professional sewing. Patience helps and a determination to master the machine.

Carol J.
    I'm glad to hear you serge your quilt backings together and are pleased with the results. I learned that at a quilt class, and began using that method with good results. That alone is worth the price I paid for my serger, a Sears, made by Janome. Threads easy and haven't had the first problem!
    Old 11-06-2010, 05:48 AM

Also - if one makes bags/purses/totes - serged edges really look nicer and wear better than raw edges.
    I have made two duvet covers as I really prefer to sleep under down than quilts! I used a friend's serger then. Now that I have moved I am thinking about buying one for myself. I asked here on the board which I should buy and most people said Babylock. Yesterday I stopped at a shop to look. They had a Brother on sale that appeals to me, but I don't know anything about them. Also, they had Janome and spoke highly of them. Unfortunately, they don't carry Babylocks. The Brother is self-threading which I really like. Now I am really conflicted as I was READY to buy a Babylock!
    I make quilts because I like the way they look, but I think I'd make more duvet covers if I had a serger. Serge potholders etc sounds like a great idea. as did the prewash serging! Sounded like a great price. Don't think you can go wrong!
    Before purchasing the Brother I would be sure they teach you to thread it. Changing thread is more difficult in sergers than in sewing machines, unless you buy a more high end model that is self threading. Some thread easier than others. I have a Sears (made by Janome) and it threads easily, once I learned how. I just have to relearn it every time. You would think I could remember!
    Old 11-06-2010, 06:38 AM

I have a serger and don't know how to use it. My mother gave it to me. It is still in the box.Mom died and now I have no one to teach me how to use it. I know they are good for making clothes , but my aunts do not seem to use them much for quilting. Good luck with your quilting.
    Old 11-06-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by missionslady

Before purchasing the Brother I would be sure they teach you to thread it. Changing thread is more difficult in sergers than in sewing machines, unless you buy a more high end model that is self threading. Some thread easier than others. I have a Sears (made by Janome) and it threads easily, once I learned how. I just have to relearn it every time. You would think I could remember!
    I've had my serger (Bernina) for 15 years now and I still can't remember how to thread the darn thing! I don't use it very often but when you need it, you need it. I really don't think it's necessary to go out and buy one unless you're doing a lot of clothing or home decorating.
    Old 11-06-2010, 06:57 PM
    Power Poster

I have had one many years but only used it for sewing clothes. It give a nice finished edge for clothes but I have never used it on quilts so it sits there and sits there.