Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Organic wavy line quilting with a walking foot. >
  • Organic wavy line quilting with a walking foot.

• Organic wavy line quilting with a walking foot.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:45 PM

I quilted one about that size on my Vintage Singer 401 with a walking foot. I did it by splitting up the quilt batting into three parts. I used Dritz basting spray. I laid the full backing on two big folding tables in my usual fashion. (Mentally divide the quilt into 1/3s.) I used newspapers to keep the spray off the two outer 1/3s and on the center 1/3. After spraying, I removed the newspapers. I added the batting and pressed it down and smoothed it out to adhere like I normally do. I then used newspapers again to block off the sides of the batting to match the backing and sprayed the batting. I removed the papers and added the top and pressed it down and smoothed it out. (If you pin or baste, it would work the same way, just without the newspaper.)

I pulled back the top and cut the batting on one side in a curvy line with my scissors. (Be sure and leave enough loose batting on the center section to either zigzag or use stitch witchery to join it back together.) I carefully labeled which side of the quilt that piece of batting fit and which way it went. Then, I removed the other side of the batting and labeled it.

I quilted the middle of the quilt with long wavy lines. Then I went back to the table and fused the cut piece of batting to the already quilted center section. After I got the batting added, I used the basting spray on each layer as before. Then I quilted that third. I repeated that on the last 1/3.

It worked pretty well. It was easy to quilt. I would do it again.

I learned this: Label those pieces of batting carefully. I thought I did, but had trouble getting them to fit as well as I expected. I used Warm and Natural 80/20 batting. I didn't remember to put the scrim side down, so the iron stuck to the batting when I added the tape to join the sides. I'm not sure I would do the wavy line again, I might cut it straight.

This method is covered in the book, Divide and Conquer Quilt it Your Way by Nancy Smith and Lynda Milligan. It's available used from Amazon.

One other suggestion: Try the wavy moves without thread until you get used to moving the quilt.

bkay

One suggestion (not related to the above) for those using the painters tape for a guide. Be careful not to sew over the tape. It makes it really hard to get all the little bits of the tape off. If you don't sew over it, it will come off in one long piece.
    Old 07-18-2018, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    I might buy the Frog wave painter's tape and use it to quilt along the edge.
    Now that's a great idea!
    Old 07-18-2018, 10:18 PM

Thankyou everyone....some great advice, most appreciated.
    Old 07-19-2018, 03:30 AM

I will admit to being a newbie at wavy quilting but I sure do like it. I have not done a larger quilt, two large throw sized. I do roll and really like the end results and honestly the time savings. When making donation quilts, I don't want to spend excessive time on the quilting process. Experiment. I see some roll and some puddle. What works for you is what is best...for you.
    Old 07-19-2018, 06:22 AM

Start in the middle and work towards the right edge. Then, flip it around and start at the middle again and work to the right edge. This way you are never working with more than 30 inches in the throat. You might want to place some painters tape down the middle as a guideline for the first row.
    Old 07-19-2018, 06:32 AM

When I quilt with a walking foot I don't grab the quilt. I do a lot of curves and quite involved designes with a walking foot and I guide the quilt with my hands just like when I'm sewing. More palms and fingers down than grabbing. I don't roll my quilt either but rather let it puddle around all the sides where I'm not quilting. I do love Machingers gloves when I either FMQ or walking foot quilt. My hands get less tired and I have more control. I have small hands and have tried gardening gloves that are grippy, bell gloves like you wear when you play English hand bells and nothing compares to the comfort and ease of Machingers. They are worth every penny I paid for them.
    Old 07-20-2018, 03:03 AM

Can someone please explain what is meant by puddling. As a hand quilter thinking about trying machine quilting, I am mystified by the term.
    Old 07-20-2018, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by momsbusy
    Start in the middle and work towards the right edge. Then, flip it around and start at the middle again and work to the right edge. This way you are never working with more than 30 inches in the throat. You might want to place some painters tape down the middle as a guideline for the first row.
    I use this method , only I draw a light line down the centre as a guide. Will have to try the painters tape.
    I first saw this on Sew Fresh Quilts blog and when Lorna did a presentation . Love the method.
    Old 07-20-2018, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Flossie Fewcloes
    Can someone please explain what is meant by puddling. As a hand quilter thinking about trying machine quilting, I am mystified by the term.
    It just means the quilt being in a pile as opposed to rolling up the part of the quilt that you have to move through the harp of the sewing machine.

bkay
    Old 07-20-2018, 05:41 PM

There are clips you can buy to hold your rolled up quilt in place...I have used them when rolling and they work...Check Joann's Dritz makes them