Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • organising threads and bobbins >
  • organising threads and bobbins

• organising threads and bobbins

Old 06-15-2011, 06:40 AM

How about a golf tee stuck in the top to keep the bobbin and thread together.
    Old 06-15-2011, 06:48 AM

I just watched a video on this yesterday and I thought it was great and it won't cost you a thing. The lady takes the spool of thread and the bobbin that was wound with that thread and puts a straight pin in the top of it and puts the bobbin on the staight pin. You now know exactly what type of thread is on the bobbin and a storage place for it. You can also go to the $ store and get the pony tail holders for little kids (the fat ones with alot of material round them) and put them on your bobbins to keep them from unraveling.
    Old 06-15-2011, 10:23 AM

I just read on Fons & Porter newsletter that you can put a straw over the top of the dowel rod that holds your spools and it should hold up to 2 spools of thread -- my thought, and haven't tried it yet is that it should hold a spool and a bobbin with the matching thread. Cut the straw off at whatever height you desire.
    Old 06-15-2011, 10:50 AM

Love the straw idea and the pipe cleaner trick. I have used the snack baggie, which seems to work the best for me now. And due to the varied sizes and heights of threads,I'm finding it easier to use the snack baggie and store them in clear plastic shoe boxes on the shelf over my main sewing area whenI want to be sure to keep the same spool and bobbin thread together.
    In the past I bought some bobbin minders, little plastic units that fit into the top of a standard spool of thread which leads to my current probelm - these things don't fit as nicely into the tops of large spools.
    Old 06-15-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
    How about a golf tee stuck in the top to keep the bobbin and thread together.
    Exactly how I do it AND I can still keep them both on my thread racks. :thumbup:
    Old 06-15-2011, 03:13 PM

Love the drinking straw idea and I don't even have to spend any money. :thumbup:
    Old 06-15-2011, 05:43 PM

Because I know I drop things a fair amount I now only use those rubber rings that hold a lot of bobbins. I have marked the rings for which machine the bobbins are for ... and then for the type of thread. This really isn't so hard because I mostly use 2 types of thread with my quilting and such.

If it is a specialty thread ... then ziplock baggies work really great.

ali
    Old 06-15-2011, 06:06 PM

I have a thread rack that I purchased at JoAnn's. I extend the small dowel by inserting half of a straw, making it longer. This way I can put 2 spools on each small dowel.

Also for my bobbins that I constantly use, I put them on an old "ribbon maker". It has about 12 spools (spokes). I fill my bobbins and keep them close at hand so I don't have to keep winding bobbins. Natural is my favorite color thread and wind a bunch at a time. As for other assorted bobbins, they're in a bobbin case until I need that particular color. Hope that helps.
    Old 06-15-2011, 06:34 PM

I use the rubber round bobbin holders for the neutral thread that I use for most piecing. I have bobbin boxes for the more common thread (sorted by fiber content) that I use for fmq, but some specialty threads have the spool and bobbin in a floss zipper bag and are on a ring.

Most of my thread is in a collection of stacking boxes that ;ock together (from Joanns). I use larger boxes for the big spools.
    Old 06-15-2011, 08:59 PM

I have 2 thread boxes that go into the desk drawers for current projects. All of my extra thread & different threads are stored in a big gray cabinet on the right hand side of my avatar. My piecing/quilting thread is stored in a thread box in my quilting cabinet.

debra