Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • organising threads and bobbins >
  • organising threads and bobbins

• organising threads and bobbins

Old 06-16-2011, 10:29 AM

I stick a flowerhead pin thru the holes in the bobbin and thru the holes in the tops of the thread spools and store them lying down in a plastic, drawer-type storage box (like they have at WM). Or if I am switching back & forth between colors, I have an old plastic tray that sits on top of a bookcase where I can put them and they are out of the way until they are needed.
    Old 06-16-2011, 10:30 AM

If you use the wooden spool rack or a box you can put a cut off straw through the hole in the spool of thread and then put the bobbin on top of the tread.
    I do this for my embroidery thread and quilting thread.
    If your use a box you could put toothpick in the spool then add the bobbin.
    Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 AM

Here is mine. This way of keeping bobbins is new to me but so far I like it. I eventually will move it to a drawer close to my machine. But until I can get a sewing machine cabinet built it stays in the plastic box.

bobbins
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]212309[/ATTACH]

thread
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]212310[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-212303.jpe   attachment-212304.jpe  
    Old 06-16-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg
    I just watched a video on this yesterday and I thought it was great and it won't cost you a thing. The lady takes the spool of thread and the bobbin that was wound with that thread and puts a straight pin in the top of it and puts the bobbin on the staight pin. You now know exactly what type of thread is on the bobbin and a storage place for it. You can also go to the $ store and get the pony tail holders for little kids (the fat ones with alot of material round them) and put them on your bobbins to keep them from unraveling.
    I bought dollar store kid's pony tail holders in a mixed bag - I now place one in as close a coordinating color to the bobbin thread over it - no ravelling, no dust & I can see approx. color at a glance
    Old 06-16-2011, 11:47 AM

I haven't seen anyone address what they do with bobbins from different sewing machines when they've used one thread and more than one kind of bobbin with that thread. I've got 5 sewing machines and only two of them use the same bobbin.

The best solution I've come up with so far is that I have separate bobbin storage boxes that I've marked on the lid which machine's bobbins are inside. I don't think this might be the best solution because there are times when I have trouble figuring out which bobbin goes with which thread, especially when two thread colors are very similar.

Anyone have any better ideas than this? Great 'thread' by the way. :thumbup:
    Old 06-16-2011, 12:15 PM

I use little girls ponytail holders from the dollar store to ho;d the thread, then stack them in an olive jar, so I can see what colors I have by tipping the jar. I try to match the pony holder to the thread, it doesn't always match, so I use one that is in the same color family.
    Old 06-16-2011, 12:17 PM

I've been doing the snack baggy thing too. Works great.
    Old 06-16-2011, 12:48 PM

What a great idea damaquilt. That's the first I heard of that method.
    Old 06-16-2011, 01:18 PM

I also use pony tail stretching things and stack a couple of the same colored thread bobbins on my second thread spindle. That comes in handy when I take my machine to classes, knowing that I have prewound bobbins right on my machine.

Someone gave me a clear plastic bobbin case with a sponge bottom that has holes cut to hold bobbins. I love it, I can see the colored thread and the sponge keeps the threads from 'unspooling' themselves.

I only use Superior Bottom Line thread in my bobbins. I only use several colors that will match with any light, medium, or dark fabric and red. I don't buy colors to match all the fabrics or projects I am working on. Not necessary in my case.
    Old 06-16-2011, 01:21 PM

Damaquilts, I have heard of that method of storing bobbins but appreciate that you shared a photo... I can see how that works great! Except I do see some of the threads trying to escape, LOL. That is the part that I find challenging.