Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Organizing Fabrics >
  • Organizing Fabrics

• Organizing Fabrics

Old 11-05-2011, 03:34 PM

Question Organizing Fabrics

I have a lot of difficulty understanding how to organize fabrics. I have seen a lot of articles saying do it by color, type of fabric, print, etc. How do you organize yours? Will you post pictures on how to do it? I don't understand any type of fabrics except polyester and cotton. I have a lot to learn and hope you will teach me so I will know how to do it when I get fabrics.
    Thanks,
    JOY
    Old 11-05-2011, 03:38 PM

I have mine organized by amount of fabric. In drawers by 1/2 yd, 1 yd, 1 1/2 yd, 2 yd and over 3 yds. Not perfect but works for me.
    Old 11-05-2011, 03:40 PM

I don't have drawers but do have shelves.
    Old 11-05-2011, 03:42 PM

Here's a thread that was posted awhile back complete with GREAT PHOTOS!

This QB member certainly inspired me. This is my FIRST RESOLUTION in Jan 2012 - to follow her lead on fabric control. I hope it helps you too!

Organizing your sewing stash
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...om-t43871.html
    Old 11-05-2011, 04:13 PM

I have tried different things and often find myself doing different things. Mostly I do it by color but then sometimes according to the possible project-----like prints for "I Spy" or say all my blenders. There probably is no right or wrong way to do it, just so it works for you. I use see through plastive bins of different sizes depending on amt of fabric.
    Old 11-05-2011, 04:14 PM

Wow, that was really nice. What about the very large fabrics and the ones cut in squares, circles, triangles, etc?
    Originally Posted by Highmtn
    Here's a thread that was posted awhile back complete with GREAT PHOTOS!

This QB member certainly inspired me. This is my FIRST RESOLUTION in Jan 2012 - to follow her lead on fabric control. I hope it helps you too!

Organizing your sewing stash
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...om-t43871.html
    Old 11-05-2011, 04:29 PM

I use comic book boards to wrap mine and organize them by color: http://debzpicaday.blogspot.com/2011...57-of-365.html
    Old 11-05-2011, 04:35 PM

I spent atleast 5 hours yesterday trying to straighten my sewing room. half way through, I wish I would have never started because it is a bigger mess. I keep my colors or tone on tones in different drawers (orange in one, red in one, and so on)..

I also keep my "themed" fabrics together by themes - like butterflies, ladybugs, dogs, cats, food - but then I have shelves that I have possible quilt combinations stacked - so in other words.. I do what works for me but I'm still always hiding fabric from myself. While cleaning last night I found a whole stack I forgot I had. I have too much fabric for the space - I need to do some power destashing but I have a hard time letting go of fabric, I'm attached to it. I know.. crazy...

Originally Posted by butterjoy
    I have a lot of difficulty understanding how to organize fabrics. I have seen a lot of articles saying do it by color, type of fabric, print, etc. How do you organize yours? Will you post pictures on how to do it? I don't understand any type of fabrics except polyester and cotton. I have a lot to learn and hope you will teach me so I will know how to do it when I get fabrics.
    Thanks,
    JOY
    Old 11-05-2011, 04:43 PM

I understand how a person can get attached to fabric. I love going to thrift stores and browse through what they have. Some are very beautiful. Let's say you have blue fabric and and a variety of blue prints, are they separated or put together, etc.
    Originally Posted by kriscraft99
    I spent atleast 5 hours yesterday trying to straighten my sewing room. half way through, I wish I would have never started because it is a bigger mess. I keep my colors or tone on tones in different drawers (orange in one, red in one, and so on)..

I also keep my "themed" fabrics together by themes - like butterflies, ladybugs, dogs, cats, food - but then I have shelves that I have possible quilt combinations stacked - so in other words.. I do what works for me but I'm still always hiding fabric from myself. While cleaning last night I found a whole stack I forgot I had. I have too much fabric for the space - I need to do some power destashing but I have a hard time letting go of fabric, I'm attached to it. I know.. crazy...
    Old 11-05-2011, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by kriscraft99

I will help you out with your destashing...You can destash my way anytime you like....LOL