Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Organizing My Fabric >
  • Organizing My Fabric

• Organizing My Fabric

Old 07-04-2022, 07:46 AM

Default Organizing My Fabric

Hi, I am organizing my quilting room and about to put my fabric on the shelves. Question that I have for you is how do I setup the fabric on the shelves by color family? Open to any ideas.
    craft
    Old 07-04-2022, 09:13 AM

I just did mine in color wheel progression -- red, pink, orange, yellow, green, blue purple. My neutrals, blacks, grays and brown are on different shelves than my colors. Is that what you meant?
    Old 07-04-2022, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom
    I just did mine in color wheel progression -- red, pink, orange, yellow, green, blue purple. My neutrals, blacks, grays and brown are on different shelves than my colors. Is that what you meant?
    Yes, thank you.
    Old 07-04-2022, 09:50 AM
    Power Poster

I do have mine in colour families except if I have several pieces of the same fabric line, those I keep together.
    Old 07-04-2022, 11:30 AM

You might also look at the threads posed under The Mission: Organization forum: https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/

Lots of good suggestions there.
    Old 07-04-2022, 11:34 AM

welll, when you get done please come and do mine for me
    thanks ahead
    Old 07-04-2022, 01:55 PM

i used to keep mine in color family but also by size. pieces that were large enough for backings were kept in color families, too, but separate from the ones that were only 1-3 yards.
    I recently reorganized and decided I needed a new way to organize so I was likely to use my stash (I do not have a huge stash, by the way, so this likely won't work for those who do...). I grouped my fabrics by ones that I planned to put together in a quilt. that way, when I felt like making something new, I can just pull out a set of 2-5 fabircs that are already ready to go. Then the leftover fabric that I didn't find a "home" for using this method, got color coordinated in a more hidden spot.
    I keep my solids separate from my prints.
    Old 07-04-2022, 03:04 PM

I keep my fabric in clear bins (sneeze to much if I don't from the dust). I keep all the solids in one bin, batiks in another. Then I have bins organized by usage. Jelly roll rugs, pillows, bags, ect.. in their own bins. It works for me, and I only have to pull that particular bin out when I'm working on particular projects.
    Old 07-04-2022, 04:51 PM
    Power Poster

I once had yardage (1 yard and more) very neatly sorted on comic boards by color, with separate sections for batiks, holidays, 30's, flannel, etc. But as time goes on I find that it's less orderly. And the smaller pieces are even worse. I try to keep pieces from one line together, and otherwise sort by color, and/or type of fabric, but it's like cleaning your house - a never ending process. (It is a lot more fun though.)
    Old 07-05-2022, 04:10 AM

Yardage is ruler folded with a 6.5 inch wide ruler and stacked on the shelves. It is organized into categories or themes. Christmas, Children, Holiday, Batiks, etc. I also store the fabrics from collections together.

Layers cakes are stored in a plastic storage bin that holds file folders. Charm packs are stored upright in plastic bin that is a perfect width for them.