Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Organizing Scraps >
  • Organizing Scraps

• Organizing Scraps

Old Today, 03:57 AM

I love scrappy quilts and have determined over many years of quilting what sizes I like to use. I cut my scraps into 1 1/2” strips, and 2 1/2” strips and squares. Previously I tried 5 and 10” squares but found I never used them, so they were cut down to the sizes I use. I do not sort by color but use a shallow basket for each size and each basket is labeled with the size. I have recently started using the pieces left from making a quilt in the backing. Anything used during the process of quilt making goes into a small trash can that sits on the floor near the cutting table. Once the trash can is full, I start cutting into the sizes I prefer. Using a small receptacle keeps the scrap cutting sessions down to a manageable length of time. I don’t think there is a one size fits all way to handle scraps. Each must find what works best for them. Hy
    Old Today, 04:14 AM

My scraps are divided by width of the scrap. I go from 1", 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 and 5". Then I have a container full of orphan blocks, larger scraps but less than a fat quarter, cutoffs for when I'm stitching up sashings and borders as I do the diagonal stitch instead of the straight stitching so some of those triangles cut off can get a good size enough to be half of a HST. My fat quarters are divided by color in containers though.
    Old Today, 04:57 AM

I have been entranced by 2.5s for years and because I use that cut often I usually cut small scraps into strips or squares of that size. Long ago I tried to cut all of my scraps into standardized sizes but found, like others who responded here, that I did not use them or had to re-cut them.

For my two cents, step back and consider the sizes that draw you in and that you find you use often. Cut scraps in those size(s). If you are going to invest your precious time in cutting, make the sizes that YOU use. By the way I do sort my 2.5s and 2.5 strips by color. That is soothing and useful in my sewing room.
    Old Today, 05:46 AM

Scraps. I dislike wasting anything. I am still looking for the perfect system. I recently took a class offered by my guild titled "Managing Your Scraps". Not! She showed us how to sew random scraps together to make a block! Then, make a mug rug or glasses case or hot pad. Waste of money, but fun day with others. I do love my new glasses case, but I did not need to pay for "how to use your scraps"!

My scraps are large because I over-order for projects. (Ran out of fabric once-never again). My fabrics are difficult to sort by color - they generally are blue with lots of other colors. Since I like applique, I have a tub of solids; another tub with pieces larger than fat quarters; another with pieces more the size of my hand. Smaller pieces get tossed without guilt!

My first scrappy quilt was red roses with green scraps surrounding. I literally had to buy fat quarters in order to make because I had no green or red fabric!-I do now!
    Old Today, 05:50 AM

You are all sharing great tips! I'm thinking of kitting up a few scrap quilts, along with a print out of the pattern and keeping them in Ziploc bags. That would make it ready to sew up whenever I am ready, but all the daunting cutting would be done.